Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bilstein Sports arrived!!!

80Vette

Corvette
1980 pearl white vette
Bilstein Sports arrived!!!

THANKS VP&B, and Santa...I am super stoked to get them on. However, my last shock replacement was 20 years ago with my Dad (on a big ol' Torino muscle car with enough room to comfortably sleep 5 in the wheel well) :)
Seriously though, last night while doing "pre-work-check" I became a little intimidated at the small space to work in.

Will I need to remove the wheels first beforehand? Sounds like a silly question but it sure looks like a tight squeeze to get the old ones out and without a full car hoist to comfortable stand under the car (wouldn't THAT be great) I am unsure where to begin on this job.

-Andy in Oregon

If you can, remove the wheels first.

That should give you plenty of room.

Have plenty of WD-40 or your choice of penetrant on hand.

You should do fine.

Just take your time.

SAVE THE :w

It would be nice to put the car on jack stands, and safer too. Spray all bolts with wd40 or rust penatrating oil. Let them set for a couple of hours while you look over the new shocks again. Then start unbolting and changing out the old shocks. You will need to take off the wheels and tires. Also you will need a floor jack to help hold the suspension parts so you can replace the shocks. A good breaker bar might be handy. I would try a ratchet first rather than a inpack gun , but some would argue that. Are these the original shocks, I hope not. Make sure and use all the new rubber that they send with the new shocks. Should be a simple unbolt and rebolt job, if there is such a thing. Take your time and enjoy working on your car. Take pictures of before hand if your not sure on what goes where.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom