Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Birdcage for 64 Coupe

A

aussieross01

I am looking to source a new birdcage for my 1964 Coupe.
Can anyone out there point me in the right direction with a pro-active supplier with attractive price points.
Ideally would like to source from West Coast if feasible.
Appreciate any help out there.

As far as I know, no one make a replacement bird cage. There was talk at corvettes of Carlilse that someone may be making one. If I hear of anything I will let you know.

As far as I know, no one make a replacement bird cage. There was talk at corvettes of Carlilse that someone may be making one. If I hear of anything I will let you know.

Would appreciate that.
It seems incredible to me no one is making repros of these given that they are so prone to rust.
Rgds
Ross

What areas need replacing? There are parts available like under-sill rails and mounting points. Try Ecklers and paragon. Most of the metal around the door and window can be cut out and re-welded with 20gauge metal.

cheers
64mike

What areas need replacing? There are parts available like under-sill rails and mounting points. Try Ecklers and paragon. Most of the metal around the door and window can be cut out and re-welded with 20gauge metal.

cheers
64mike

Worst areas are bottom corners of windscreen frame, rotted right through on inner and outer areas.
I have the birdcage removed and sandblasted. The lower horizontal part of the frame is largely quite good, the challenge seems largely confined to these lower corners.
I couldn't see any repair panels in the Paragon catalog, but I'll try Ecklers.
Many thanks 64Mike.
Rgds
Ross

I would take a marker or scribe, and circle the perimeter of the bad areas. Then cut the rust out out. Take some cardboard (like from a cereal box) and cut/trim the pieces so they fit the holes. Then transfer the shapes over to some 20guage metal and have a welder weld them in. Grind smooth and paint it well.

64mike

I would take a marker or scribe, and circle the perimeter of the bad areas. Then cut the rust out out. Take some cardboard (like from a cereal box) and cut/trim the pieces so they fit the holes. Then transfer the shapes over to some 20guage metal and have a welder weld them in. Grind smooth and paint it well.

64mike

Yep, had figured on doing just this, but thought it easier if replacement patch panels were available.
Thanks amte.
Ross

Yep, had figured on doing just this, but thought it easier if replacement patch panels were available.
Thanks amte.
Ross
CHECK OUT THE LATEST CORVETTE FEVER THERE IS AN ARTICLE IN IT THAT SAYS CALIDONIA CLASSIC CARS IS REPO'ING A MID YEAR BIRD CAGE & INDIVIDUAL BIRD CAGE PIECES

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom