Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Black Painted Alternator

Ripp 73

Corvette
1973 L82 Blue Coupe
Hello CAC,

I was wondering if anyone has tried these Black Painted Alternators on their car?

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=4.137.5642

I have heard in the past that some people have problems with their wiring when putting in an alternator that can push more amps then the original. Something about having to add a thicker cable running to the battery? Is this commonly true? I don't really want to run new cables at this time. Should I just go for a standard replacement. Mine is currently running, but it is varying and needs to be replaced, and my battery is on its way out as well. What battery do people recommend? Which one is the best bang for the buck? Suggest some Alternators as well. I'm open for ideas.

Thanks

The Powermaster race alternator I use has a black, heat-dispersant paint on it. Don't know if it does any good. ;shrug

Alternator and Battery

I recommend genuine AC-Delco, new, not remanufactured. These are available at Checker/Shuck's/Kragen, around $65 I paid for one for a '72 Chevelle SS with A/C (higher output), with a warranty (lifetime?-can't remember). Build quality was good, and it looked pretty sharp, too, with its copper anodized fins against the dull aluminum case.

As for a battery, I'm a HUGE fan of the Optima. They are great, good amp output, and I like the spiral cell technology, meaning no fumes and no electrolyte in the passenger compartment. Terminals stay clean as well. When I changed out, I completely baking soda'ed and hot water scrubbed out the box, then wiped it all dry with rags, after I had laid down plastic bags everywhere to prevent "overspray". Make sure you clean your cable terminals real good inside using a small tipped screwdriver. That's my suggestion.

Rick

One other thing

If you do go for the Checker AC-Delco, suggest going to a wrecking yard and getting an old alternator to use as an exchange, so you can keep your original one and rebuild it using kits available from Summit Racing. That way, you'll have a fresh, original spare.

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom