Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Black Vette Finish Care

McSnagg

Corvette
1988 Triple Black Convertible Z52 4+3
Anyone with a black vette have a solid routine for keeping the finish in top condition? I have an 88 convertible that I'd like to look like wet glass. I've read all of the tips and reviewed the products on this site.

Black Vette owners...Help a brother out! :w

Black is incredible difficult to keep looking like you had just waxed it. Especially if you like to drive it all the time. I have used Meguiers NXT wax, and Eagle One Nano wax with very good results.

If you haven't already it would be a good thing to strip the wax, claybar the entire car then start waxing and buffing it. Good luck, I am sure others will have better advice as I am no car detailer, this is just what I have done in the past.

USE THE ZANIO SYSTEM......A Black Car is a Detailer's Final Exam...

When I decided to get another Vette......I swore I'd never get a black car again.....I now have a Zanioed 2004 Torch Red Coupe. That black car like to work my ass off.....But it looked good.;)

ain't nothin' better than BLACK ... when it looks good

McSnagg ... I bought my '80 back in July '99 and I had the same question.
Zainoaholics were, and are everywhere ... so I got the kit and spent 2 days going thru their process, AND ... I ended up having a shine that was just as good as it had been ... which, according to everyone, was pristine to start with.
Over the last 6+ years, I'll try something new, AND ... it looks just as good as it did before. It got to the point where i'd wash it with Dawn and just dry it off AND ... it still looked just the same. So I stopped searching for that magical formula.
The funny thing is, after I bought an '05 Harley - Heritage ... BLACK, of course ... Harley sent me a little polish/detail kit as a kind of welcome gift, and it sat on the shelf of my garage for about a year.
Inside this little kit was a small bottle of ADAMS DETAIL SPRAY. It said spray on a clean or dusty car and just wipe it off. So, what the h*ll, why not. Besides making the garage smell like a cherry pie, it gave that glassy finish that NOTHING had even come close to !!!!
Give this stuff a try !!!
I haven't been to their site, but try adamspolishes.com and see if they have the Gloss Enhancing Spray ... or call Jimmy G's @ 408-846-7488 in Gilroy, California and see if you can get it from them.
I don't even bother tryin anything else !!!
If you go in this direction - let me know what you think !
Good luck !

Supplies:

-car wash soap with high lubricity
-high quality sheepskin wash mitts
-foam gun
-2 buckets with grit guards for paint
-1 bucket and mitt for wheels
-high quality microfiber towels
-210+ mph electric leaf blower
-high quality sealant and/or wax
-quick detailer

Method:

-Wash wheels/tires/wells first to prevent spotting on paint and glass

-Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.

-Using foam gun, cover vehicle in a thick layer of foam

-Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

-Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.

-When vehicle is fully cleaned, allow a slow, steady stream of water to flow over each panel...sheeting the majority of the water off

-Use the leaf blower to blow all water from flat surfaces, mirrors, lights, etc.

-Remove any remaining water with a waffle weave drying towel and detail spray

*The less you touch the paint, the less chance of marring*

Keeping a good sealant and/or wax on the paint will assist in cleaning and reduce chances of marring.

Supplies:

-car wash soap with high lubricity
-high quality sheepskin wash mitts
-foam gun
-2 buckets with grit guards for paint
-1 bucket and mitt for wheels
-high quality microfiber towels
-210+ mph electric leaf blower
-high quality sealant and/or wax
-quick detailer

Method:

-Wash wheels/tires/wells first to prevent spotting on paint and glass

-Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.

-Using foam gun, cover vehicle in a thick layer of foam

-Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

-Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.

-When vehicle is fully cleaned, allow a slow, steady stream of water to flow over each panel...sheeting the majority of the water off

-Use the leaf blower to blow all water from flat surfaces, mirrors, lights, etc.

-Remove any remaining water with a waffle weave drying towel and detail spray

*The less you touch the paint, the less chance of marring*

Keeping a good sealant and/or wax on the paint will assist in cleaning and reduce chances of marring.

Zane,

I'm reviving an old thread, but since I just bought a black car myself, I wanted to pick your brain as far as what products you would recommend for each of the steps you listed above.

What would you recommend for a car wash soap?

How about a sealant and/or wax? I'm assuming wax for paint and sealant for rims, but I'd better ask. My car has the standard 1990 ZR-1 rims if that makes a difference.

I'm a relative newbie to detailing, I always just paid to have it done on my daily drivers, but I'd like to maybe enter my car into some shows and want to do it myself. Thanks for any advice!

Doug

Zane,

I'm reviving an old thread, but since I just bought a black car myself, I wanted to pick your brain as far as what products you would recommend for each of the steps you listed above.

What would you recommend for a car wash soap?

How about a sealant and/or wax? I'm assuming wax for paint and sealant for rims, but I'd better ask. My car has the standard 1990 ZR-1 rims if that makes a difference.

I'm a relative newbie to detailing, I always just paid to have it done on my daily drivers, but I'd like to maybe enter my car into some shows and want to do it myself. Thanks for any advice!

Doug

Doug - Product choice is a highly personal preference discussion. The process is always the most important aspect, and it's best if you can try a few different products to see what *you* like best.

For car wash, I typically use Zaino Z7, Griot's Car Wash, or Meguiar's NXT Wash. For a sealant, I typically use Zaino, Jeff's Werkstatt, Wolfgang, etc. For a carnauba wax, I use Pinnacle Souveran, P21s/S100, DP Max Wax, etc.

Doug - Product choice is a highly personal preference discussion. The process is always the most important aspect, and it's best if you can try a few different products to see what *you* like best.

For car wash, I typically use Zaino Z7, Griot's Car Wash, or Meguiar's NXT Wash. For a sealant, I typically use Zaino, Jeff's Werkstatt, Wolfgang, etc. For a carnauba wax, I use Pinnacle Souveran, P21s/S100, DP Max Wax, etc.

Thanks Zane... I agree with you that experimentation may yield the best results, but I wanted a good starting point. There's nothing like the voice of experience.

I haven't detailed a car since... well, let's just say it's been a while, and many new products have come out since.

It's too bad you guys aren't located in Colorado Springs, it would be nice to have an expert detail it once or twice a year. I'm especially concerned about my ignorance regarding engine cleaning.

Regards,
Doug

Good luck, and feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

Black Vette Care

I have a 2010 Black GS, my third black one. I am a stickler about the look and finish here is the routine and products.

**Twice a year** Adam's Products, made in the U.S.A.
1) Clay bar with spray detailer {hand}
2) Swirl & haze remover {orbital}
3) Fine machine polish {orbital}
4} Sealant {orbital}
5) Briliant glaze {hand}

The car gets washed before putting it back in the garage after a ride or trip. I use brilliant glaze after drying. It looks wet all of the time!

JP

Anyone with a black vette have a solid routine for keeping the finish in top condition? I have an 88 convertible that I'd like to look like wet glass. I've read all of the tips and reviewed the products on this site.

Black Vette owners...Help a brother out! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom