Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Body Mount #4

cwerve74

Corvette
1974 454MT red conv
Trying to replace the rubber in Body Mount #4 on my 74 Conv. The bolt turns with easy. The nut must be turning free. I do not see any access to the nut. From the parts catalog it looks like the nut is susposed to be in a cage. What is the trick here ? How do I get access to the nut, to hold it , while turning out the bolt.

you get to the bolt from inside the car, in the very rear corners. just pull the carpet up and you will find a pocket and the bolt is down in there. hope this helps, just replaced mine last winter.

Looked under the carpet. I guess you have to remove the rear deck lid for the convertable top and then the hinge and its spring and support hardware to get access to the top of the nut? Do you know if the spring and hinge come out as one piece. Looks like a lot of preload on that spring.

cwerve74 said:
I guess you have to remove the rear deck lid for the convertable top and then the hinge and its spring and support hardware to get access to the top of the nut? Do you know if the spring and hinge come out as one piece. Looks like a lot of preload on that spring.
Just replace them on my 73 Conv. The cage for the nut is under that hinge support. You will have to take the deck lid off first. Then there are two bolts at the top back side of the hinge support. Hard to get to but you can get them with a little effort. To bottom of the hinge support is rivited to the body mount support under the car. You will need to drill out the rivits. Then with a lot of grunting and groaning you can get the hinge supports out but you will think that you are going to knock the floor out before they come out. Easier if you can remove the spring. Once the support is out you can access the nut. I had to use a saw and cut the bolt out on mine. This would also be a good time to replace the mount reinforcement. The nut fits into a cage that is rivited to the body so you are also going to have to remove the reinformcement to install a new cage.

Just make sure you have everything needed on hand and you can do it in a day.

Good Luck

tom...

Thanks tom73. It is a job I have to do since the old ones are just truning to powder. I was hopping for something a little easier but your step by step will keep me on track. No problem cutting off the old bolt. Seems to be a common practice as I go over the car and replace defective stuff. One other question. Did you tackle any of the other body mounts? Do the others have a similar 1 day ordeal?

cwerve74 said:
One other question. Did you tackle any of the other body mounts? Do the others have a similar 1 day ordeal?
Have not yet tackled any of the others. Me thinks the #3 is going to be a bear. At least the #4 is out in the open. :)

tom...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom