Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Body Panels / Door Skins?

Hrtbeat1

Corvette
'90 coupe (gone) '96 CE LT4 Z51
Ok any of you had any experience with replacing door skins? How tough of a job is it? Or should I just replace the whole door? I've seen skins for sale and doors but can't figure out how the skin and door are put together. I know it is bonded somehow and I'm guessing they use bonding strips similar to the body panels.

I have a small crack below the mirror on the drivers door and a pretty good crack above the door handle. The one above the door handle has the fiberglass cracked (you can see strands of fiberglass) the one below the mirror may just be in the paint but it is noticeable (if you look for it).

What is the price difference?

I would almost just get a whole door. I think that would be the best way to replace it.

Many Vette Bone yards should have the parts

Price difference

I've seen whole doors for around $400 with the mirror for about $500.

The outer skin from the Chevy dealer runs around $280.

I was kinda leaning toward replacing the whole door just to avoid the hassle. The only good point about the skin is coming from the dealership it would be warranted (for what thats worth).

Check out ebay, Ive seen complete doors there for less than
$400 before. Good Luck, Tim

I would suggest buying a complete used door.You will be less agrivated and have spent less money in the long run.Putting a skin on isnt a hard job but may be a little difficult for a begginner.

Tim is right.....Check out eBay. Most complete doors in good shape (minus the interior panel) go for less than $200 and most have all the innerds, glass, etc. Just an economical thought. You'll probably find what you need.

Gordon :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom