Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Borla XR1 Race. Resonance???

E. J.

Corvette
2015 Blade Silver convert
I’m planning on buying, either Borla’s Stinger, single outlet (140017), or their XR1 race system (14778).
I’m concerned about resonance, but not about loudness.

I would like to go the XR1 route but I am afraid of the resonance on long trips.

My question is, has anyone tried tuning out the resonance through the use of clamp on weights?

Since the rear interior compartment of our cars is actually glued onto the frame, without the use of any pliable body mounts, any vibration coming through the exhaust mounts will really radiate through the rear tub like a giant speaker cone.

Loud will always be loud, but resonance is a tunable quality. The aftermarket probably doesn’t want to add the excess weight, since part of their advertising is directed at a weight reduction from stock. But clamp on weights to the pipe are easily removed at the track.

I had experience with exhaust resonance on one of my wife’s previous cars. A 4 cylinder Sunfire that developed seriously annoying resonance after a muffler and tailpipe change. After two return trips to the muffler shop they dragged me out to the car, while it was up on a lift to show me that no part of the exhaust was against the floor pan. With someone in the car they ran the engine at various RPM ranges. At certain points the pipes just shook like crazy. They solved the problem by attaching a clamp on weight which they obtained at the Pontiac dealer. They tried the weight at a few different locations along the pipe until the vibrations in the pipe were minimized. The difference inside the car was unbelievable. From under the car there was no change in the noise level when the pipe was vibrating.

I want comments, yea or nay. If you have tried it, (1) Where did you attach the weights? (2) How much weight, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Hi Ed. I have had the XR1 for several years. Always have had some resonance. It has become particularily bad since I swapped out to a 422/SC, larger headers, and gutless cats. It is far louder than before.

I've just ordered some sound deadening materials for the reasons you mention. I went with B-Quiet products. I'm going to try a sound damper (Brown Bread 2 layers) and a composite absober/barrier (LComp) both. A key will be to get it adhered down well to all areas without airbubbles to negate the dampening effect. I think this will be better than Dynamat Xtreme and more cost effective for me. I'll see how it goes, may not get the time to finish it for a couple weeks. Here is a link if interested:

http://www.b-quiet.com/index.html

I've not tried the weights as you suggest. Had not really thought about it.

Thanks for the reply ZZ.

Some sound deadening material should help.

The link you provided is interesting. I’ll take a closer look at it, tomorrow.

It’s back to work for me tomorrow, after having four days off, so it’s time to hit the sack.

I’d like to hear more about your project as it progresses. Keep us all posted on how it is working out.

Thanks again

Ed

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom