Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose amps

Bill75

Corvette
75 Coupe ZZ4, Brodix IK-180's, Headers,TK0-500
I've been searching the archives for a friend of mine whose trying to repair Bose speaker amps. I thought I remembered reading a solution to the bad amp boards that replaced them with another board that fit right in the speaker housing. I thought I even saw a picture of it posted that looked like the origionals. Darned if I can find it again!!!!!! I did find the Rock Box discussion which looks like a good solution to me but my friend's concerned about the reported noise at low volume and hacking the car up with something that doesn't quite fit.

Am I dreaming or was there a post of an amp board that was a cheaper drop in??

Thanks

Bill

this what your looking for?

Hello All,
Are your Bose amps nonfunctional? Do you wish to keep the car in stock form?
I just replaced both non-functioning rear amps in my 91 with units I found at FRYs Electronics. The are Rockbox Model M103A amplifiers that are 4 x 2.25" and can use the same screw holes as the original. The amps are 50watts X 2 channels with high and low impedenace inputs that are adjustable. I used only one channel of each amp and left the other open for future expansion of Subwoofers. Just replace the amp, wire it all up to the existing Bose speaker and screw the assembly back into the car and VOILA - rear stereo sound again!!
The best part.........each amp was only $19.99

Amps

Hey thanks for the reply on this. I'm trying to help out a friend whose fixing the speakers in a 91 for someone. I sent him the posts about the Rockbox and he noticed that someone had commented on a hum in the speaker when it was on low volume. Do you notice anything in yours?? Boy it sure sounds like a great $20 fix if it works well.

Bill

The Rockboxes are still operating great. The low volume noise is ignition interference. It can be stopped with a very simple filter put inline of the amps power wire. The noise does not change in volume at all. Since my radio is very rarely at minimum volume, I forget about the noise. Just need to (still) get to my local radio shack to buy them. I'm guessing theyr'e about $2.49 each. I think the last time I did this type of fix, they were about .99 cents. The reason you hear this at all is that the rockbox is much more powerful than the Bose OEM amp.
Goods Luck
91Coupe

This really sounds great...but I happen to be electrical illiterate. I live in a condo with no garage...and no specialty tools. Is the fix as easy as it sounds? I've been waiting for some pics and a "tools needed" list on the installation...those would help out a great bit. The last detailed description of the install, the guy used wire connectors he salvaged from the UK (I think he mentioned he wasn't sure if they're available here) with slight modifications. It seems more than just a plug and play install. Man, would I love this!

My Dad did the Rockbox amp replacement a few weeks ago on one of the rear speakers in his 1988 35th. Very easy, no special tools or rare wire connectors needed. The hum refernced in other posts is definitely noticeable. 91 Coupe, once you determine which filters are needed, please post, as the hum is driving my Mom nuts. Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom