Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose Cd re-install into my 90 vette. Schematic?

D

DHOUGHTON

I am reuniting the original Bose cd-radio-cassette player with my 90 Vette. The previous owner
put in a Kenwood unit and did a butcher job. I really could use a schematic of what wire does what. One part of the harness is still intact. I may even have to send the unit in to have it checked. Any suggestions there?

Marathoner

Corvette
none right now :(
My suggestion would be to keep the Kenwood... I really think the Bose CD players are piles of crap.... The previous owner probably replaced the Bose unit because it was broken (or starting to break)...

If you decide you must have the factory CD player there are some things to consider....

The Bose stereo has amps for each speaker, a regular stereo has one amp, either in the deck, or separate.... Basically the Bose stereo is not "powered" This means that the previous owner did one of a few things....
1)bought the converter to use the Bose amps and speakers
2)bought new speakers, ditched the Bose amps and speakers
3)bypassed the bose amps himself, and kept the speakers

You have to figure out which one he did.... If you don't have the bose amps and speakers, you need to get those before putting back in the old CD player... If they are there, you have to figure out his wiring job.... Once you figure out where you stand, post a reply and I (and the rest of us) can help you out more....

PS, if all you want is a CD player that looks good (fits in the dash correctly) you may want to get a bigger CD player... My '93 had a pioneer that was double din (twice the standard size) and it fit in the dash perfectly... unless you really looked you couldn't really tell.

D

DHOUGHTON

Keeping Kenwood

OK you convinced me. Here are my problems in finishing the job the previous owner didn't.
1. Get power to antenna so it powers up when stereo is turned on and I can actually listen to the radio.

2. Where is the antenna wire (what color) so I can plug the Kenwood in?
I have exposed the wire harness in the back of car in search of antenna wires.

3. The speakers are wired to bypass the Bose Amps which are still there.

Thanks,
Marathoner

Corvette
Was it never hooked up? Normally on an aftermarket car stereo, there is a separate wire, heavier, that goes to the antenna... Here is a quick question... does the stereo have a separate amp? Most people would have it installed in the rear storage areas, under the storage bins... If it does, it could be hooked up to the amp (this is how the amp turns on and off), but the amp may not be hooked to the antenna (this would be a more common problem, the wire could come off pretty easily back there)... I couldn't imagine using the Bose speakers without a separate amp... most car stereos don't have the kind of power it takes to power good speakers like that (and make them sound good at least) The Bose has something around 200 watts total power (don't quote me on that one) and a standard deck would have about 40 watts. Anyways, the problem could be anywhere along the chain... it could also be the antenna doesn't work... so, is it plugged into the back of the stereo (through the heavy black wire)? if it is, then check for an amp, then check for the connections there (it should be obvious, because there are only a couple of wires going in and out of the amp, and normally they are well labeled) let me know how you do... it could be just a faulty antenna... Good luck

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Om mine the PWR ANT is a pink wire (The only pink wire back there) Simply hook it up to your PWR ANT lead from the deck. Now if your like me and don't have a lead from the deck you can do a couple things.

1.) Make a switch that runs with IGN PWR

2.) (Your choice pbly) Use the Remote wire from the deck, it should provide enough power to hold that antenna up. Also it will only go up when your deck is on.

One question though. Do you run any aftermarket amps in there?

D

DHOUGHTON

Converter?

Whats the converter for? Wireing charts would be helpful.
Thanks

DHOUGHTON said:
Whats the converter for?

If you purchase from a business such as Chrutchfield they supply all the needed materials.

The Scosche factory amp interface is for plugging the original harness into. Then you plug into your new stereo. This way you don't have to hack up the wireing and can re-place the original receiver if you sell the car! You can purchase this at most good stereo shops, but when I was checking they were jacking up the price $40. to $50.
:) hope this helps.

I don't know if you have the same Kenwood I have, but I did mine and ordered from cruthfield. I had to call 3 times for wireing help, but man it sounds great. If you still need help e-mail me and I'll dig out the wire charts.
I'm still using the Boise amps though. Used a converter and direct plug ins. I did not have to cut any wires. just plugged in..
Gus

P.S. on mine:
Yellow = constant 12 volt pwr.
Blue/Blue+white = Power Antenna/Amp remote Turn-On

I do remember the pink wire. I don't think it was used and I capped it off. I don't think I'll take it apart to check though. :duh
Gus

D

DHOUGHTON

Wired to get wired

Thanks Gus. I did try the pink wire yesterday with no results. I will try the other wire you suggested. Have a great one.

Dennis

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
The SMALL pink wire

is the antenna triggerline.... the relay is in the rear deck under the plastic that covers the rear glass latch!

Vig!

D

DHOUGHTON

Pink wire does nothing.

The purple wire is the winner. I wired it to the Kenwood Antenna Power wire that is blue. It works perfectly. Now I have to locate the COAX wire to the antenna so I can get reception. Its not with the rest of the harness behind the stereo. I will try to retrace it backwards under the dash I guess. I think that the Kenwood has 45 watts and the speakers sound OK. Would my ears smile real big if I put in a 200 watt amp? Or should I repair the BOSE amps on the rear speakers? What about the front speakers?

Thanks for everybodys input to get me output.

Keep cruisin,

Dennis

Corvette
There are lots of problems with the bose amp/speaker set up... The first being it is only rated at 1 ohm... This means that it doesn't take that much power to make a lot of noise, but it isn't very clear... Honestly, I would dump the bose speakers and amps, and get a good set of speakers with a good amp... this will sound the best, and it will be rated at 4 ohms, which is much better for sound quality, and it is the industry standard anyway

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom