Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose in an 89' Coupe

jfcupolo

Corvette
1994 Dark Red Coupe - Automatic
I may be sorry I am asking this only because I'm a pretty good mechanic but I HATE dealing with sound systems. But, here goes. I have an issue I have been putting off fixing for a while. The problem is that my stereo system works fine but in constanly crackles and then either one side (left or right I can't tell) or maybe it's a speaker drops out. The problem happens all the time and since I am running an exhaust system without mufflers or cats I would rather hear the engine anyway. But I do want to fix it. The point is I don't know jack s#@t about stereos and I don't really want to try a lot of trial and error. I'm hoping this problem sounds common because all the parts that could possibly be replaced are so damn expensive.

Help me oby-wan-kanobe, you're my only hope.....

There are many posts about this issue, try doing a search for more information. In a nutshell, if you still have the stock bose stereo system, each of the 4 speakers in the c4 bose is individually amplified. Each speaker is combined with its own little amplifier in a miniature subwoofer-type ported plastic box, two in the doors, two in the rear cargo area. These are 2-ohm speakers that won't work with any other stereo.

The printed circuit boards in the amplifiers contain components that wear out over time, causing whining, popping, crackling. If you're keen on keeping your car all original, you can send the amps to Dr. Dons (do an internet search) to have them refurbished. I think it's $75 per amp, not sure, but you should do all four. It is very much a pain to remove the door speaker boxes.

Some people have had luck purchasing aftermarket amplifiers, I have found them to be very poor quality and the sound isn't the same. Most people in your situation remove the old stereo and put in an aftermarket one. It is really not that difficult and it will sound better than the stock stereo. I have tips if you want to email me.

I really don't care to keep it stock. This is my daily driver and it gets driven hard and put away wet for 35K in miles a year pulling up the rear for my bike. That said I do take care of her and am trying to restore it to top shape a little at a time with adequate changes to make me pee a little on acceleration and in the corners. I don't like the Bose system much at all but I just need an adequate sound system. Not really into having a super duper stereo. Time and money goes into the go-go factor. Thanks for the info I'm glad the issue sounds like a common problem. I think I'm convinced to just change it out for a CD stereo with a regular speaker system. I'll do a search but if anyone can suggest moderate priced after market systems that will drop in without hassle or mods or even possibly use the factory wiring to the current speakers it would be greatly appreciated.

Replace the AMP(S)!!!! Simple and not nearly as expensive as replacing the entire system with something aftermarket. Look, you said yourself, ["I don't like the Bose system much at all but I just need an adequate sound system."] Since you're looking to do the job yourself, stick with what you have, replace the amps (simple plug-n-play) and not run the risk of screwing something up with aftermarket replacements since you also said, ["The point is I don't know jack s#@t about stereos and I don't really want to try a lot of trial and error."] Good luck!!! :w

Now that logic makes good sense from all angles. I see the amps for sale for costs like $80.00 each, is there a cheaper alternative that anyone knows. Thanks for this answer, like I said your reply makes perfect sense to me for my needs.

I may be out of line. However here it goes. I spent big money sending in the head unit to get gone through. Replaced all amps (And a couple of speakers) and then all I had was a mediocre cassette player. So I sold that equipment on ebay and purchased the direct fit Pioneer unit from ebay. Infinity speakers all around and had about $300 in it (Including the correct adapters and such) With all the trouble I went through pulling amps, head units and such. My best long term suggestion (Assuming that you do NOT want to keep it factory) is save yourself trouble and replace unit today. It will sound better, you will have CD and it will work long term.

Just my thoughts after being down the road.

I may be out of line. However here it goes. I spent big money sending in the head unit to get gone through. Replaced all amps (And a couple of speakers) and then all I had was a mediocre cassette player. So I sold that equipment on ebay and purchased the direct fit Pioneer unit from ebay. Infinity speakers all around and had about $300 in it (Including the correct adapters and such) With all the trouble I went through pulling amps, head units and such. My best long term suggestion (Assuming that you do NOT want to keep it factory) is save yourself trouble and replace unit today. It will sound better, you will have CD and it will work long term.

Just my thoughts after being down the road.

Mine did something similiar but it was just the head unit. I put in a pioneer unit with 12CD changer and the bose adapter. Works great.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom