Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bowling Green

D

Drewser

I'm headed out Monday to Bowling Green to show my vette where she came from and to have a look around the museum. I've been there (pre-vette days) and found it entirely forgetable. Is there anything else in Bowling Green that I should be aware of?
--Drew:w

Theres a pretty cool cave right in the middle of town . It was a speakeasy of sorts during prohibition . Its just a short boatride but kinda neat .

Call ahead and maybe you can arrange a tour of the plant. They are doing group tours, but all needs to be arranged ahead of time.
The NCM is a nice place to visit. Lots of cars there and if I'm not mistaken, the C5 Bash is next week.
About 25 minutes North is Mamouth Caves. It's the largest known cave system in the world. Last I know, some 385 miles worth. Kentucky has quite a number of commercial cave systems of various types. Many take only 20 minutes to view, but Mamouth has several different tours, varying degrees of difficulty and length of time.
A tad farther North is Maker's Mark. It's a historical landmark. One of many distilleries in the area. Kentucky has gone out of their way to provide a Bourbon tour panphlet.
And I just read, Saturday April 27th is a large cruise-in in somerset. It starts at 3PM. All types of cars. Find out more at http://www.somernitescruise.com/
I'm packed and ready to go. Leaving for BG on May 3rd. Too bad about the cruise-in.
-John

I was born in Somerset and grew up in Northern Ky so I've been around most of the state. I live just outside of Lawrenceburg, IN now--the home of Seagrams, so whiskey is big around here too.
Thanks for the heads up on the spelunking. I'm gonna miss the C5 bash (good thing, they might beat me down with my C4) by a day.

Warning about visit to Corvette factory

I just passed through Bowling Green and the policy for factory tours has been changed. You must make reservations two weeks in advance and send by fax a copy of your drivers license. Worse, tours are only offered for groups of ten or more. MAJOR BUMMER if you have driven several hundred miles (as I did) out of your way to see the factory. I.M.H.O. you will see a better collection of Corvettes at Bloomington Gold or at Carlisle then on display at the museum. So, don't go too far out of your way..........the rest of Boring Green is not so spectacular!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents worth,

Louie

Boring Green

Yeah, that is how I remembered it. We only live a few hours away and I need a break so we are gonna stretch the vette out and just get away. That is a major bummer about the factory as that is one thing we really wanted to see.

Seen one factory, seen 'em all. This one just happens to be building Corvettes.

_ken

Drew. You may see more cars at Carlisle or Bloomington but you will not see a better selection of rare and one of a kind Corvettes as you will find at the NCM. I have made the 10-12 hour drive many times (including the National Caravan in '99) and have found an interesting display every time. Contrary to popular belief the displays are changed often. You will be able to pay your respects to the Father of the Corvette, Zora Arkus-Duntov, whose final resting place is the NCM. I'm going back this June to watch the arrival of the Historic Motorama. It's a lot more fun during an event, but in my book any chance to visit the NCM is worth the effort. Of course for someone that didn't like Corvettes I guess it would pretty much suck. But I don't think any of us on the CAC fall into that catagory. Why not join the museum while you are there. Try it you'll like it. Tell Stephanie that Whitey sent you.:w

Drdc4 and I are heading down to see our brick on Monday . We had planned to see the factory as well . This really bums me out ! Although we toured it last year , they went so fast we really wanted to do it again . Does anyone know why they're doing this to us ?

DkBG

Well I'm sure you will be driving right past me in Aurora, IN. Wanna meet up for dinner Monday or lunch Tuesday?

Hi Drew Maybe an early lunch on tuesday would work . I'll check with my brother and get back to you .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom