Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bragging!!

Rich96c4ce

Corvette
1996 LT1 Collector Edition Coupe
My 96 and I will be on World News Tonight with Peter Jennings, Friday August 1, at 6:30 PM Eastern time, ABC network.

Last Friday I was at Capitol Raceway's Test and Tune in Crofton, Maryland. They came by and interviewed a number of people about drag racing, why people do it and etc. Well, they taped me for about 7 minutes being interviewed, took video of me pulling up to the water box, doing a burn-out, launching and then picking up the timing slip. What a blast!!!

And, with my mostly stock (low thermostat, open lid filter, hypertech fuel tune, and 315 Nitto DRs, and 113K miles) I pulled the best time since starting to drag last year - 13.71/104.95. :_rock

Very cool! :cool

I'll have to remember not to watch the Simpsons, as I usually do at that time. :L

I was the token old guy, 56, gotta do it sometime!!!!

My reaction time was longer than my interview!!!!!!!!! Oh well, my 0.5 seconds of fame.

I saw you Rich!

I liked the beard and the black 'vette t-shirt!
Heidi

Thank you very much!

I sure had a great time that night! It was a really bad week at work, and as the piece essentially said, a night at the track sure makes up for the whole week.

Damn Rich, I missed it! Tonight (Friday) is our regular weekly cruise and I forgot about your shot at fame. :(

Congrats anyhow! :upthumbs

_ken :w

Thanks, everyone. My son picked it out at Carlisle last fall. Its our car. The first photo of the engine comp is from the Zip Products catalog. The car was at Carlisle showing off the dress-up stuff designed and made by Kirban Performance. The car was used to prototype the parts, and was for sale. My 11 year old co-owner thought that is was the best value there. I'm pertty sure he was right. It was in our driveway a week later.

I should have another photo next with better wheels. The ones you see are 17x8.5 F and 9.5 R. I put the 9.5s on the front and 17x11s on the rear. It looks much better, an really hooks up at the track.

Rich,
What's your opinion on the Nitto Drag Radials?
I've been debating on whether or not to go with Nitto.
I definetly need some help "hookin" up.

man i can't believe i missed this thread!

We all need to hook up and do some rampaging on some Rice one night at capital soon! :D

BTW Rich,

i can help you on your reaction time. Also at 104 mph you should be low 13's easily! when we all hook up and go i'll help ya get your ET down :)

afree said:
Rich,
What's your opinion on the Nitto Drag Radials?
I've been debating on whether or not to go with Nitto.
I definetly need some help "hookin" up.

I like them. They are great on the street, with lots of wet traction. On the strip, they really hook-up, but I suppose the BFGs would, too. Also there is a new BFG that has just been advertised. Regardless, the Nittos were highly recommended by a co-worker who autocrosses, as a better compromise for mileage and traction than other tires he has used and seen. Most of the Dracers that I work with use Hoosiers so street driving is mostly out. The price on the Nittos is pretty good, too, although most dratg radials seem very competitively priced. Hey, I'm really happy with them.

Mad-Mic said:

We all need to hook up and do some rampaging on some Rice one night at capital soon! :D

BTW Rich,

i can help you on your reaction time. Also at 104 mph you should be low 13's easily! when we all hook up and go i'll help ya get your ET down :)

I agree. Last week I had some committments to Boy Scouts, this Friday may be in doubt, too, because of a family committment. Then next Friday is Carlisle. I'm still shooting for this Friday at Capitol.

Re. reaction time, so far this season in 7 runs, my r/t avg. is 0.695, and 60' time is 2.067. I have been leaving on the last yellow, but need to leave a little sooner, obviously.

Mad-Mic said:
i found this interesting about the BFG DR tire.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/comp_ta_drag_radial.pdf

need Adobe Acrobat to view!

UTQG of 0/B/C; the Nittos are 100/A/A. Maybe better, or maybe BFG doesn't really rate its tires. But the tire that you showed is not the newest, there is a g-Force T/A Drag Radial just advertised in Motor Trend last month. Looks like they have only rice tires or C5 and Viper sizes.

Mad-Mic said:

BTW Rich,

P.S. a 3.73 rear is in the garage waiting to be assembled. That should do it. not much else will. Here are the first seven runs on the Nittos. The first one was not heated.
14.204 13.998 13.946 13.715 13.820 13.727 13.750
100.34 101.51 104.43 104.95 104.55 104.64 104.77

2.06 60 ft time is not that good at all! i have hit a 2.04 in my stock 87 coupe. i would think you should be down in the 1.8 or 1.9 area pretty easy. a friend of mine that goes to cecil has an 89 coupe with some bolt ons running 13.20's. i think you just need some seat time and learn how to flash the converter right.

lets shoot for after carlisle. looks like i'll miss out this year cause i wont have my new F1's for a few weeks.

i added up my price list for my mods with out the head work and it came to $1325. with out shipping.

these are just the motor mods. no tranny prices yet.
cam $375
intake $400
roller lifters $160
roller rockers $270
push rods $120

then i need the heads punched out and ported with 2.02 intakes 1.56 exhaust. then the 2600-2800 stall and trans go kit. i'm currently looking for a 3 1/2" to 3" rear Y pipe. i seen the Y pipe and mufflers from TPiS by flowmasters but i don't want the mufflers. probably another grand worth of parts there. but hopefully this will put me down in the mid to high 12's with out nitrous :upthumbs on a 2.59 rear gear!

after i get my new tires i need to get my ABS fixed. i'm gonna get the entire system bled while they fix the ABS.

ahhhh never ending :D

Mic, I think you can do a bit better on some of those prices. I got chromoly pushrods for $80/set from Terry Rosebush Racing, and that cam price sounds high too.

If you do decide to drive another car up to Carlisle, give me a call on Thursday and we can meet Saturday (I'll be up there for the weekend with the fam, or I'd be happy to drive you up).

[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom