Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake dash light flickering on and off, ever have this problem?

craig0ry

Corvette
1986 Red 4+3 Coupe
Well guys, I haven't pulled the p-brake since the day I bought the car, but every once in a while during "spirited" driving, or a rough road, or even randomly, the "brake (P) (!)" light on the dash starts flickering! I am pretty sure this would be symptamatic of a wiring problem... but I figured if it is happening to me it has happened to one of you... Any advice?

I know the p-brake is not sticking as the car runs great and on a flat road, i can let go of the wheel while accelerating, cruising, and braking and it stays straight as an arrow.

TIA,
-Craig

Got a couple of questions for you ask yourself.

1. Is this the original brake fluid that came in the car?

2. Is this Brake Fluid more than 3 YEARS old?

If you answered yes to either of these, first completely flush your brakes and bleed them properly. Brake Fluid is hygroscopic, (meaning it absorbs water), and then with water in there you may not get the pressure that is necessary and also there is the possibility that the water has rusted or caused corrosion in the switch, and when you're tooling down the road, it crosses the contacts and your light comes on.

Then if you get the same thing, check the wiring and the ABS (if so equiped)
but remember, if you can't stop, you're in a heap of trouble!

1) no
2) not likely

Stops pretty well so far... and AFAIK, the '84 doesn't have an option even for ABS... ?

I was going to flush and refill the brakes with that super blue ATE fluid anyway in preparation for the auto-x season this year... will try it out and see if that solves the problem! Thanks!

While my Vette hasn't exhibited this behavior, two other cars I've dealt with have done it shortly before the alternator died. Both were GMs...
[RICHR]

Is there a switch on your parking brake lever to indicate that it's ''actuated''?
Is that switch properly positioned or is a wire loose to that switch? I once had a Buick with the same sypmtoms and it was a 'sticky' switch that had 'never' been used. CRC electronic cleaner fixed it up.
Good luck

You may have a bad switch on the MC or the MC may be loosing pressure...The photo below in the switch I am talking about...that light is NOT just for the parking brake.

If the problem is electrical instead of mechanical, I would just pull the bulb out. It's the cheapest and easiest way to do it. I did! ;)

JonM said:
You may have a bad switch on the MC or the MC may be loosing pressure...The photo below in the switch I am talking about...that light is NOT just for the parking brake.
LMAO!!!! The problem has been solved! I saw that connector on the MC right after I bought the car... It was corroded and unconnected so I just plugged it back on... shortly thereafter the light began flickering! Guess I'll just unplug it like the previous owner obviously did until I can replace it...

Thanks guys!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom