Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake noise

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
I just switched to Hawk HP+ pads on the front, and I am going nutz!!! They sound like I am running metal to metal. (its embarrasing)

I have pulled the pads off, cleaned everything, used hi-temp anti-skweel juice on the backs of the pads, and after two stops, they screem.

Is this normal?

At this point, I don't want to put on the back pads. I am already in stereo, I don't need to be in surround sound. Don't get me wrong, the pads are great at the track, but just suck on the street. I have Hawk HPS on my truck and they make NO noise. What's the deal?

Help?

Did you follow the bedding in procedures for these pads? These are a bit more "racy" than the HPS you have on your truck. Perhaps you may want to have a light cut done on the rotors to give a fresh surface to start on then rebed the pads to the rotors. If the pads do not "bed in" correctly you can get noise and diminshed braking power.

Good luck,
Jay

The HP+ pads will squeak and squeal, and make lots of dust. That’s the price you pay for great stopping power on the track. Lots of guys have two sets of pads, one for street and another for track. Personally, I just learned to live with it during track season, and switch to HPS for the off-season.

Those Hawk pads are gonna squeal on you. There's a website: www.hawkperformance.com
It's been a while since I've read their Q&A/tech tips section, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading their fix-it for the squealing pads.
Good luck! :w

Thanks for the tips. I went to their web site and pulled up the FAQs. I will try rebedding them per their instructions. I also have a new set of rotors to try with them. If that doesn't work, I will just have to learn to live with it during the season too.

Thanks-

Ok, update time...
I put on the new slotted rotors I had sitting in the garage. The change seems to have gotten rid of almost all the noise. My old rotors had faint heat/stress cracks, so that could have been contributing to the problem.

Just thought I would post good news.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom