Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

brake petal spring and bushing

jimbo64

Corvette
1964 RED CONVERTIBLE
Have broken spring I think on my 64 brake petal, How difficult to change the spring and the bushing or should I just go to Autozone and get a buck spring to hold it back until winter rolls around. Thoughts. Looks like a pain in the butt to try to wrap my 200+ lb. frame in that area. will end up spending my life savings on a chiropractor after this exercise. Is there any tricks to this little problem which would ease the pain.

jimbo64 said:
Have broken spring I think on my 64 brake petal, How difficult to change the spring and the bushing or should I just go to Autozone and get a buck spring to hold it back until winter rolls around. Thoughts. Looks like a pain in the butt to try to wrap my 200+ lb. frame in that area. will end up spending my life savings on a chiropractor after this exercise. Is there any tricks to this little problem which would ease the pain.

Already responded elsewhere, but if might be interesting to others here also.

The replacement of the brake pedal spring, and it's bushings is not a Winter project, but you must not imagine it can be done in fifteen minutes. Another option would be to do the repair the following way.

Rather then remove the steering column, ( especially for your 200lbs frame ) I would recommend that you remove the drivers seat ( only 2 small bolts ) and it will to give you easy access to the underdash area while laying comfortably on your back, with your feet in the rear storage area. It will be much less labour intensive then removing the steering column.

Once you are in position you will only need a small flat bladed screw driver to remove " in this order " two spring clips, the brake pedal clevis, and the clutch rod.

# The correct method is to first remove the brake pedal clevis pin spring retainer. Then slip the pin out of the pedal, and gentle push the clevis to the side. Next, remove the pivot shaft spring clip ( it's a little higher ) that locks the pivot shaft in place. Then remove the clutch rod spring retainer, and remove the clutch rod from the clutch pedal and let it drop down.

Once all this is completed, all that you need to do is to gentle pull the clutch pedal to towards the left side of the car, and the brake pedal will fall into your hands. The broken brake pedal spring can then be replaced, along with the pedal bushings. Then lube with a little white grease, and reverse the procedure to re-assemble the pedals.

Hope this helps

Stepinwolf
user_online.gif

Stepinwolf, thanks for the help. Will take another look in the next few days. Can't believe that spring could break. It's pretty heavy duty I think. Oh well, Murphy's law------If it can it will in the smallest and hardest place to reach. Again thanks for the expertise.
j64

It might just be un-hooked

You are welcome,

but before counting out the spring as being broken, my guess is that it might just be un-hooked from the tang that holds it in place. When you get the brake pedal out, you will see exactly what went wrong.

Stepinwolf

Here's how the return spring hooks around the pedal and how the tang engages the welded tab on the inside of the pedal support:

PedSupt3650.jpg

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom