Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brakes fixed !

Corvette
(2) Callaway's (2) ZR1 (1) supercharged 35th
I'm posting this in case someone else happens to run into the same problem I ran into, and so that it can become part of the search data files, so that it may help someone in the future that might run into the same situation. It took some doing but I finally figured out te problem.

Symptom : driving along and noticed that all four corners were sticking. Coming up to a stop and the brakes weren't even needed to be apply as the car would come to a full stop on its own. Even putting the car on a flat bed tow truck would've been difficult without releasing the pressure at the bleeder screws at one of the front and rear brakes. Lucky for me I was close to home, and was able to limp back.

Solution : took the master cylinder apart and noticed a bit of rust. This car sits an aweful lot, and when it is driven, it's pushed pretty hard. My guess is that enough moisture had collected at the proportion valve located on the master cylinder because it was frozen stuck. Even after lubricating and trying to move it back and forth didn't help much. The effort required to repair this valve was not justifiable so I ended up replacing the master cylinder.

Word of caution, keep the brake fluid clean. Periodically flush the entire system, especially if you have a garage queen. Note that this car has less than 18k miles on it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom