Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Build a Z or buy it already done?

• Thread starter Thread starter Last Ride
  • Start date Start date
L

Last Ride

Hey gang--
I am thinking of going with either a ZR1 or possibly a Callaway for my next Corvette. When I got to thinking about all of the work that has gone into my current car, building it up, etc, I began to wonder if I really wanted to do that again. I could buy a high mileage Z or even a Callaway much easier than one that has been sorted out, but in the end, would I be better off going with one that is nearer to completion? I know there are places out there that specialize in exotic/muscle car financing, and I would most likely need to contact them if I were going for a better car. Here is a list of things I would be looking for:

368 motor
upgraded brakes, suspension
roll bar
good windshield condition
A-mold or aftermarket rims
good exhaust
short throw shifter
decent stereo
Lingenfelter or Callaway Aerobody

This is the short list, but you get the idea! Obviously, I would be hard-pressed to find something exactly matching this, but I plan to do some things on my own anyway. I saw the '92 Callaway ZR1 somewhere else on the site, and that is pretty much what I am looking for (or something along those lines). The price has me scared, though! So what say the knowledgeable people out there? I am beginning to get the taste of a Z in my mouth! I never really liked the C4 until I drove one. You gotta love the cockpit feel! :beer

Keep your eyes open. I know of a Black/Black LPE 368 91 that was advertised for $27.5. It sold within a couple days. This was just about a week or two ago. Check here for details http://www.lingenfelter.com/classified0021.asp

Also, I know a few other guys who have picked up 368s just above 30 in great condition. It is always cheaper to buy one already built, but you just have to watch for the deals.

For the callaway or LFE bodies, you'll probably have to find the car then buy a body of your choice. Maybe, you might get lucky and find a 368 built just the way you want.

Good luck, either way. ZR-1s are cheap right now! (if you consider 20-22K for a low milage 90Z)

Do you like driving or building more?

You know the pain and satisfaction of both. How deep are your pockets? There are some improving deals on Zs, and chance encounters with a steal and the above would drive my decision.

Having spent 3 years on my project, it may be wiser and cheaper to buy one already done, as I was advised. The unknown, though, is how hard it was used; how well was it built? One key in your choice is in your line: "do some things on my own anyway".

While never totally satisfied with the power available, I am darn close now. I need practice to adjust to all this car can do.

My chip guy, a long-time Vette lover, ZR-1 and Vette shop owner, that my car puts a lot more power on the ground than his Z, and does it at a lower RPM; "perfect for the street", in his words. My project cost 17 large, including 10k more of my efforts; quite a deal, given alternatives. I have the satisfaction of accomplishing a rather rare feat, but lost a few years of driving.

Heck, half the fun is shopping and deciding.........for a while.

:w Mike

1984 Z-51 Corvette (white/carmine) 406 cid four bolt, forged crank; 11:1 with aluminum Dart Pro-1 heads
FMS injectors- 30pph @45 psi;
BBK 52mm Lingenfelter Superram plenum, runners & base
Comp hydr. roller- 230 intake; 236 exh @.050
TPIS long tubes feed 3" system through new, stock '84 Vette cat to Flowmasters

Bilsteins revalved to 'Challenge' specs Heim jointed 3.73:1 rear; poly, poly everywhere
strengthened: super T-10 and Doug Nash O/D

Last Ride,why does the price scare you on Steve's 368" Callaway ZR-1? $40K isn't out of line for that particular car. Also,Callaway doesn't sell the ZR-1 Aerobody kits,anymore.
Clint

USA ZR1 said:
Last Ride,why does the price scare you on Steve's 368" Callaway ZR-1? $40K isn't out of line for that particular car. Also,Callaway doesn't sell the ZR-1 Aerobody kits,anymore.
Clint

Clint--
No, definitely not out of line, but possibly more than I could afford at the moment. That is why I was considering buying one that has a few miles and building it up as cash flow allowed. I think that I could get a car for less hassle, however, if I were to buy one already done (or at least closer to what I want). I guess it will simply come down to examining finances to see what I can realistically afford. As for Steve's car, it is an awesome example, and about as close to what I would be looking for as I have seen. The only thing that would scare me about his car is finding body panels or having repairs done should the need arise. I guess the way to avoid that, as I discussed with Steve offline, would be not to wreck it in the first place!

I can certainly understand that sentiment,Bryan. If I had not been in the process of re-financing my house,I probably would not have been able to afford my ZR-1. Buying one of these cars already built is the only way to go unless you have deep pockets.
Buying a Callaway Aerobody ZR-1 is now a risky proposition due to the fact some body parts are no longer available. I won't lie to anyone and say that doesn't bother me just a little bit. However, owning one is a definite rush and something I never thought would happen. Steve's 92 Aerobody is an incredible car and is a definite keeper,IMO. Hopefully,he will not have to let go of it.

Clint - I agree w/ your lines of thinking here. The price is GREAT for the 368 Callaway Aerobody car and w/ respect to the tail, the lights are still avail and fiberglass can be repaired (cracks, chips , etc).

Bryan, I am not quite sure what you mean about "sorted out" as all Callaway cars are driven for awhile before being "released" back to their owners (to ensure quality).

There are some great buys out there on the "specialty C4's" right now - Time to buy and enjoy :)

Chris,since you seem to have a good relationship with Callaway, maybe you could ask the powers-that-be there why they can't produce another mold for the ZR-1 rear bumper? In the overall scheme of things,it couldn't be that large of an undertaking and the PR impact would be huge for all Callaway owners.
Clint

*89x2* said:

Bryan, I am not quite sure what you mean about "sorted out" as all Callaway cars are driven for awhile before being "released" back to their owners (to ensure quality).

There are some great buys out there on the "specialty C4's" right now - Time to buy and enjoy :)

Chris--
By "sorted out" I mean a car that has already been gone through, modifications have been made, things have been tweaked, etc. A Callaway or Lingenfelter car would fall under this definition. Deep pockets are something I DON'T have at the moment, but my taste for the exotic is not going away! The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of buying one well on its way to being what I want and only have to do "minor" things like a stereo, some dress-up items, etc. This means ponying up some extra cash up front, but in the end, will probably save me from making many of the mistakes I have made with my current "project." Thanks for the advice, all! :beer

Last Ride said:
Chris--
By "sorted out" I mean a car that has already been gone through, modifications have been made, things have been tweaked, etc. A Callaway or Lingenfelter car would fall under this definition. Deep pockets are something I DON'T have at the moment, but my taste for the exotic is not going away! The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of buying one well on its way to being what I want and only have to do "minor" things like a stereo, some dress-up items, etc. This means ponying up some extra cash up front, but in the end, will probably save me from making many of the mistakes I have made with my current "project." Thanks for the advice, all! :beer

Now you've got the right idea - JUMP on that Callaway Aerobody at 40K - WHAT A DEAL - I just dumped 25K to purchase my 90 Z, and then 30K for Lingenfelter 368/Alcon Brakes etc, etc, etc (see below for all details) - AND I"M NOT DONE YET!!!! Yes, I could save money by buying something already done, but there were none when I bought, and I live in Canada, and have to go across the border - YOU DON"T - to come soon - HID, B+B Triflos, Hurst etc. So run and get that Z from Chicago - it is pristine, and a bargain!!! The FIRST Callaway Aerobody ZR1!!!!!!!!! Fully Chromed engine!!!!! Its your money, but I'm thinking you might want to spend some time figuring out how to get the money for that car - she's a beaut - and no, I don't know OldZR1guy, or have ever talked to him.

:upthumbs :Steer

Thanks for the nice comments. Sounds like you're building a kick-a$$ car!:Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom