Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bumper install on a 65

4spd

I purchased a driver that did not have front bumpers. Does anyone have any good ideas for lining up some new (used) bumpers. I hate to drill holes in the front fender in the wrong place. I think that the car would look much better with the bumpers on.
Thanks,
4spd

I think the most accurate way to re-locate the holes would be to make a template from poster paper using another original car as a guide. With some accurate measurements and some guide markings you should be able to exactly mark the holes for the bumper bolts.

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. It really helps to have a group of knowledgable people that are willing to help each other.
4spd

I would also look for the ghost of the original holes that were filled in from behind the fender,

Unless an entire front end was installed you should be able to rub the area with some thinners to see where the repair was.

I filled my front holes when restoring the car but then decided to reuse the front bumpers.

Here's what I did. Install all the brackets first. Then put some electrical tape on the bumpers where they bolt to the car. Loosly install the bumpers to the brackets. Get the two bumpers lined up and tighten the bolts. At this point the sides should be setting against the fenders. If everything is the same on both sides and the bumpers are level across the front, mark your holes, remove the bumpers and drill the holes. Make sure you install the inner brackets for reference as well.

Basically you're installing the bumpers before drilling the holes. Get them where you want them, mark them, remove them and drill away. If you're worried about your accuracy, drill a small pilot hole and reinstall the bumpers checking against the pilot hole.

Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom