Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bunch of questions about my 1988 Vette

bandit1977

Hi Guys,
Couple of questions.

1. Is there an easier/better way to jack up the front on a 1988 Corvette?

I know there’s jacking points on the sides, but to be honest I don’t like the idea of using those locations to jack the car up one side at a time, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to me and I think it must twist the body to some degree.
I’d rather lift the front up evenly without putting any sideways twisting force on the frame.
I’m used to 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gen F-bodies where you can just slide a trolley jack under the front cross member and away you go.
I can see there’s some sort of pressed steel cross member/brace under the front, can that be used as a jacking point?......if so, I assume it would be a good idea to use a thick board or plank of wood to help distribute the load across the brace?
Also jacking up the rear of the car, again I’d prefer to raise both sides at the same time.

Can I jack under the rear diff housing (with the correct lifting attachment to slide between the exhaust pipes) without causing any issues or risk of damaging the diff or housing mounting?

2. My space saver won’t hold air, it has a bunch of small leaks around the tire bead where it meets the rim.

Are these space tires serviceable, can the tire be taken off the rim and re-installed?

I think if I take the tire off, clean the rim and bead area and refit, then the tire might have a better chance of sealing correctly again.

3.I’ve noticed there’s a big round disc bolted to the front of the water pump pulley.

I assume it’s there as some sort of dampener?
It looks like it would have a pretty decent weight and mass to it, I’d imagine it must affect the ability of the engine to rev to some degree?

Are there any performance gains to be had if this dampener was removed, or is it better to just leave it?

Thanks,
Ken D

You can take off the frisbee with out a problem just remember to retorque the bolts.....I would have to jack up one side to get a bigger floor jack under the front of the car where the frame meets back behind the engine. I'm working from memory but once it was up I would put the jack stands under it. If you have a coupe never lift it with out the top being on....I am not sure what to do on the Vert......sorry not a lot of help but someone else will chip in......

I cannot answer all the questions

1) I did ramps to get the back ( or front ) in the air first.

2) Dunno about the spare....

3) Preformance gains vs Water pump wear.... nahhhh the " balancer " is to help take load off the bearings.. on the WP input shaft..
Trust me is not a fun job to replace the water pump..

Mike

You need a extra set of wheels for your 88, I have a set sitting in my garage that came off a 13,000 car?

i10fwy
Phx, AZ

You need a extra set of wheels for your 88, I have a set sitting in my garage that came off a 13,000 car?

i10fwy
Phx, AZ

Very tempting offer, I love having lots of original spares for my cars, just not sure if it would be worthwhile having them shipped to Australia..:)
Do they still have the original Gatorback tires on them?
How much do you want for them?

Thanks,
Ken

Very tempting offer, I love having lots of original spares for my cars, just not sure if it would be worthwhile having them shipped to Australia..:)
Do they still have the original Gatorback tires on them?
How much do you want for them?

Thanks,
Ken

Sorry Ken I didn't notice your location. As a matter of fact they do still have the original Gatorbacks on torhem with very little wear. However, they do not come with the center caps as I used them for my Dymag's. No I don't think it would be cost effective unless a buyer was close enough to Phoenix to come and get them. I am open to any reasonable offer.

i10fwy

Sorry Ken I didn't notice your location. As a matter of fact they do still have the original Gatorbacks on torhem with very little wear. However, they do not come with the center caps as I used them for my Dymag's. No I don't think it would be cost effective unless a buyer was close enough to Phoenix to come and get them. I am open to any reasonable offer.

i10fwy

Thanks, but as much as I'd love to have them I think I'll have to pass on making you an offer for them.
If I really wanted them, I'm sure I could arrange for them to be shipped to Australia, but to be honest if I was going to go to that much effort I'd probably rather ship a set of 1990 ZR1 wheels.

Ken D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom