Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Burned Rear Courtsey Lights Module, 12033874

ghr4news

Corvette
1986 Coupe
I'm kind of stumped on this one. The above mentioned module on my 86 coupe looks like it got fried as the casing that holds the module has melted from the largest of the resistors overheating.

1. What would cause the module to overheat? Could it be one of the door ajar sensors, as I've also found the driver side sensor has come apart with the button that's pressed in when you close the door apparently falling inside the door.

2. CAN I LIVE WITHOUT THIS MODULE AND WHAT SHOULD I BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR WITHOUT IT?

At one time the rear courtesy lights would come on when I opened the door or when using the light switch. Now they only come on when I open the rear hatch!

There also seems to be a discrepancy between what is actually on my car and what the shop manual shows.

From looking at my Corvette shop manual, the wiring diagram is not consistent with what's actually in the car, or am I looking at the wrong page? (page 8A-114-0)

Mine has 1 red, then there are two black wires to the same connector, 2 whites, also to the same connector and one gray, but the manual doesn't show the red wire. The diagram shows two white wires connected to the two rear courtesy lights and a third white wire connected to the spare tire light? On the other side of the diagram it shows it connecting to the ground wires for the theft deterrent controller and the hatch ajar switch.

Found two used modules on ebay, but am afraid they too will burn out unless I can figure out what's causing the module to overheat. I also would prefer to go with a new one, but haven't been able to find a vendor that sells them. Anyone know of a substitute that would work?

Thanks,

George

Last edited:
The delay module does fail and can be bypassed so if you close the door the lights will immediately go out.

Does your connector look like the one below? If it does just go by the position of the wires.

Pin A White wire and goes to one end of the bulbs for LH, RH footwell, LH RH Cargo, spare tire and LH RH door lamps.

Pin B 2 Black wires and is ground for the module.

Pin C Pink/White wire is hot all the time and powers the module.

Pin D 2 White wires and go to the door pin switches.

Pin E Pink/Black wire is Hot when ignition switch is in Run, Bulb test or Start.

To bypass the module you disconnect the plug and jump Pin A to Pin D on the connector plug.

Post the pin outs of your plug if it doesn't look like the one I posted.

The courtesy light delay timer is out on my 86 convertible. Based on my research, I've been told if I remove the relay board and jumper the 2 white wires, the lights are supposed to come on and go off when the doors are opened and closed. There are also replacement boards available that in essence do the same thing (on and off when the doors are opened and closed). Currently the interior lights only go on and off if I turn the headlight switch to turn on and off the interior lights.

I've also been told if you leave the doors open so the lights stay on for an extended period of time, it will cause the relay to fail prematurely.

I have done the groping under the dash but so far have not found the relays location. I know it's supposed to be wrapped in the wiring harness somewhere over the passenger side hush panel but so far have not located it.

The courtesy light delay timer is out on my 86 convertible. Based on my research, I've been told if I remove the relay board and jumper the 2 white wires, the lights are supposed to come on and go off when the doors are opened and closed. There are also replacement boards available that in essence do the same thing (on and off when the doors are opened and closed). Currently the interior lights only go on and off if I turn the headlight switch to turn on and off the interior lights.

I've also been told if you leave the doors open so the lights stay on for an extended period of time, it will cause the relay to fail prematurely.

I have done the groping under the dash but so far have not found the relays location. I know it's supposed to be wrapped in the wiring harness somewhere over the passenger side hush panel but so far have not located it.

The passenger side door pin switch in the A pillar has two wires. A light green wire is for the alarm system. The White wire is the one you want to connect to the White wire of the passenger side foot well lamp. The foot well lamp will also have a Pink/White wire which is HOT ALL THE TIME. So don't ground that wire. Connect the two White wires together and you've bypassed the delay timer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom