Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying 1980 Vette -What questions to ask?

irf

Proud to Support the Corvette Action Center!
Corvette
2004 Arctic White Coupe
Hi,
I'm new to this forum (looks great!) and I am looking into purchasing a 1980 Vette. It has 35,000 miles and one owner. The owner is a woman who seems to have taken good care of the car (garaged and not driven in bad weather).

What questions should I ask of the owner? Are there any problems with the 1980 Vette I should look out for? Was it a good year for the Vette? Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated. My EMail is irf19@msn.com. She is asking $14,500 and I'm looking into purchasing it int he next few days (hopefully!)

Thanks Isaac

Look at the blue tabs above, and select the learning tab.

Follow the links to the buyers checklist and follow it.

Let us know what you find out.

Good luck!

Irf, also look up the specs for an 80. I believe the info is somewhere here at c.a.c. also here's something to look at.
check the vin. if the fifth digit is a 8=350ci, 190hp if it is a 6=350ci, 230hp if it's H=305ci, 180hp. "H"designates Calif. Car. info source from Corvette Black Book, Good Luck.
Joe V.

I recently bought one that had limited use 2000 miles in the last 7 years. What I found is everything dries out from lack of use.
Watch for all places fluids go--brakes, heater, a/c, transmission.
Repairs can get pricey. With a car that age be prepaired for maintenance.
Still glad I did it, but be prepaired for surprises
Brian

Get a flashlight and take a good look under the front end and nose tip. Look for damage on the lower air dam, broken or cracked fiberglass, holding screws missing or broken, rubber trim ect.. Stop Curbs and sidewalks chew em up. I'm not recommending this because of a women owner but that front end air foil sits so low. Even just pulling out of a driveway without angleing the car will rub em.

Mine is an 80 L-48. I found a little surface rust --when you open a door look in behing the hinges and along the seems--mine had some rust there in which i treated . Look at the frame right in front of the rear tires for rust. Make sure she tracks straight when cruising down the road. Mine has a 142,000 miles on her and shes stock and runs like a clock. I get a little blow by (oil) from the valve stem seals but she runs great. Paid 6,000 for mine and the paint job is emmaculate.... Good Luck....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom