Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying 1st vette

ramace1

Corvette
1995 Torch Red Coupe
Hi all, I am new to the CAC, my name is Randy, I live in North Carolina and am finally in a position to purchase my first corvette. I have been offered a 1995 ZR-1 LT5 for 15k. It has 64k miles, comes with 3 tops, auto tran, owner says it has never seen rain, always garage kept.
Since I am new to corvettes I need some tips as what to look for to make sure
I'm not getting ripped off. Is this a good price? Thanks

There are no auto-trans ZR-1s. So there is something wrong with the information you've been given.

Are you sure it isn't just a 1995 coupe with ZR-1 wheels?

Also, Corvette coupes could be had with one top or two. Standard was a painted top, optional was an acrylic tinted clear top that replaced the painted top, and extra optional was the painted top and an acrylic tinted clear top. The acrylics could usually be had in 2 different tints, so you could have three distinct tops. But only one or two would have been original equipment and the rest would have been purchased later. What are the differences in the three tops the car has?

He told me it had a hard top, a smoke top and a clear top. Also he didn't say ZR-1 but he did say it was a LT5 engine, and I assumed since it had the LT5 engine that it was a ZR-1. What I've read indicates that LT5 engines were exclusive to ZR-1s.
Thanks

The LT5 is exclusive to the ZR-1. But none were ever mated up to an automatic transmission in a production car. Perhaps he has an LT1 and was confused?

Do you have a link to the ad?

It just seems unlikely that this car is a ZR-1. If it were, $15,000 would be very cheap for a 64k 1995 ZR-1 in good shape. :w

No I don't have a link to the ad, it was in the area auto trader mag. I will be test driving it tomorrow 5/10 and at that time I will get the VIN and check the numbers to see what it really is. He was very addament about the engine being a LT5. Even said he had the computer chip changed to produce around 450 hp. I'll find out for sure tomorrow, I know what the LT5 engine looks like and will know as soon as the hood is up. Hopefully it won't be a engine change out.
If it does turn out to be a coupe with the LT1, is 15k a decent price or should I keep looking?
Thanks for your input, it has been very helpful...now I have some facts from someone who knows.

Randy

ramace1 said:
...If it does turn out to be a coupe with the LT1, is $15k a decent price or should I keep looking?

That seems a little high for a 95 LT1 w/64k. At least in the real world...

Just my two cents...

Do you want an LT1 or a LT4 or a LT5? What is your budget? Not trying to get too personal but those are the questions to be answered first. Any money you spend on a car should be what you really want or the money is wasted. I know it is easy to say and time consuming to carry out. I looked for two years and waited until my money was straight so I had cash in hand and then went back to all the ads I was interested in and started calling. I missed a few, day late & a dollar short kind of thing but that's the way it goes. I just moved on to the next ad. My point is when I started call'in & look'in, I had my budget set, money in hand & a few cars that hit my desire target dead on. That way I felt I did everything to get a match between my dream and my cash. I'm not trying to be critical, all I'm saying is the only great deal out there is the one that covers your dream and your cash can afford it. After all we're not talking about buying a DD, these cars are toys & used ones at that! Which brings me to my next point, over the horizon expenses, those things that are known to need fix'in. Ya gotta have the budget for some of that stuff because it's a used car with no warranty.

I'm sorry to be so negative or gloomy but when I get ready to blow 5 digits on a toy I want to know what I'm gett'in into before I get there. That way there are not many surprises and you get to spend more time playing & less time fix'in. I just bought a ZR-1 and I dare say there are plenty out there. You have to decide where your price target is and it must be realistic. Do you want a turn key Z or a fixer upper? I went the turn key route but that was more $ than a fixer upper. I factored that desire into my budget & looked for cars that fit that target. Did I get a steal? Heck no there are no such things. I got what I wanted at the price I was willing to pay by look'in & gett'in lucky. The luck part was a product of having the budget set & cash in hand, and finding the car that fit my desire. Oh, and not settling for a car just because I had the $ to spend & I want it now type of thing. Good luck in your search, be patient & don't settle & do your research. Tom:beer

Ramace1, contact gmjunkie (CAC supporting member) located near assheville NC. He has been a long time vet owner & locater and can help you in getting what you want.

Agi

Thanks for all the advice, I purchased the vette and am very happy with it. Although it has been raining and storming here since the day I bought it so I haven't driven it much....but it sure looks good in my garage.

ramace1 said:
Thanks for all the advice, I purchased the vette and am very happy with it. Although it has been raining and storming here since the day I bought it so I haven't driven it much....but it sure looks good in my garage.
Congrats on your new vette. So is it a ZR1?? Pic please

No, unfortunately it is not a ZR-1..:ugh It is however a very nice LT1 coupe in excellent condition inside and out:) . I'm sorry for posting in the wrong forum, but when I was talking to the owner I was kinda lead to believe it was a ZR-1.
Anyway here are some pics. (if I can upload them right)

Randy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom