Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying a 93, any advice?

DanC

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red Coupe
I just put a deposit on a 93 40th anniversary edition (ruby/ruby).

It's an automatic that's loaded and is being sold by the original owner. He still has the window sticker. The car is just about perfect for 43K miles.

Anything about this year that bears looking out for? The car drives OK and everything works.

I have until the end of the week to change my mind if this model year has any major issues.

I wasn't expecting to buy a new car, but this one looks right. I've only been lurking on the C3 pages since I currently own a 76 (which is now for sale).

Thanks in advance.

93 ruby red

you should get this car--i also had a 1976--and a 1978--no comparison to the 1993--the ruby/ruby is extra special--i purchased a white 1993 after i sold the 1978--kept it about a year trying to find a nice ruby--which i did--as to issues with this car--no major issues--remember the c4 started out in 1984--you got to believe by 1993 the bugs are gone--mine came with 6000 miles 3 years ago--now has 45000 miles--have only replaced normal type things--of course the ulitimate purchase would be a 93 ruby zr-1 !!!!!!

I own a 93, and, have found it to be a really tight and dependable car. 66K...one tune up, tires, serpentine belt and oil changes. The only thing I replaced on the car is the window switch on the driver side. $100. Seems like water falls right on this thing when it's wet outside. Good Luck!

I only had to replace my starter. Everything else works perfectly except the Bose CD player (common problem). I couldn't be happier with my '93.

I also have a ruby/ruby and mine has 140,000 miles on the od.The only real problem I've had is with the Opti-crap-This is a problem of age and moisture. I would check to see if it has been replaced And also the water pump. This is where the water leaks into the opti,as it right above it.I love my '93 and believe it or not traded a '99 for it(with cash of course) Good luck Dennis:w

I just bought a 93 ruby convertible at Carlisle late August ($24,000) with 34000 miles and I love it.
Although not unique to 93s, problem areas I am aware of are:
Electronic climate control head needs connector contacs cleaning when it becomes erratic.
Lumbar air pump diaphram failure - can easily replace diaphram by taking apart and cutting rubber from a rubber glove.
Both these problems have been discussed alot in topics in this forum.
I am not aware of any problems unique to 93s.
I have also read that you should remove the cd from the player in very hot weather.
If yours is a convertible, I have heard that the only supplier of tops is going out of business. I checked the net and found several suppliers so don't know if this is really true.

:m

If this is your first C4, remember that the LT1 does not like water. Do not wash the motor! If you get the OptiSpark wet, you'll be walking and spending money.

That's about all I can think of to mention.

I bought my Ruby in June 2002 to replace my black 92 that had been totaled by an SUV. It had 27,112 miles on the clock and all the original paperwork. I paid $17,000 for it; what I thought was a bargain at the time. It had the original tires which were rotten and had to be replaced immediately. It is the tightest C4 I've owned (of the four) and now has 31,502 miles on the clock. The only problem I've had was a wallet-buster, my A/C compressor and clutch went south (could've happened in any car) this past summer. The bill was $1,776! I love it; it is my pride and joy. I am the third owner: it was delivered to Rawlins. WY and I bought it from a gent in St. George, UT. According to the build sheet, it was born 3/12/93 at 5:32:52 AM. :cool At my age (70+) this is the last Corvette I'll ever own and goes to my youngest daughter (now a middle-aged old broad) when I check out. (Hmmmm, does this coffee taste funny?)

Thanks for all the replies.

I pick it up on Saturday morning....can't wait!!

DanC

Congratulations.

Let us know how you it goes on you first weekend with it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom