Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying my first vette. I Need help plz.

xlwhellraiser

Hi, I am buying my first corvette and I am looking at C4's. Mainly 84's and one 85.
There are three good ones around here in denver.
First there is one with 170K miles on it, but has a re-built engine and tranny which happened around 150K. It has all the bushing and suspesion stuff replaced. It leaks oil from valve cover gaskets, and it might leak oil from another place too. The owner tells me its just the valve covers, but I find it hard to belive. Also, its missing the middle air dam and the car was at 235 temp after I got done test driving it. I know I can save it, but is it worth 6grand??

Second one has 106K on it, and it drives great, it stays around 195. However, it does have a shake to it when its sitting in park. Feels like motor mounts are weak. It does run well, it stays at 195, 700RPM idling steady. There are no oscilations or hick ups. The exhaust is loud, and it sounds pretty mean, but that shake at idle got me stumped. This one is 5500 bucks, and its been maintained with documentation. Oh, it also has a problem with the GM alarm system. I was thinking of just removing the fuse and being done with it.

Third one is 84 (the two above are 84's too). This one has 81K original miles. It has oil pan gasket leak (very minor, just by looking at it). The tires in the back are slicks (they were normal street tires worn to death). This is not a good sign for the transmission. She idles rough. When I turned it on in park the car was idling at 600RPM. She died, but started right up again. After that the car ran OK. It was not as fast as the other two, but I think a tune up and throttle bodies adjustment will do the trick on it. It drove fine, but I felt like the TV cable needed to be adjusted. Second owner, owned it since 93 and he did regular maintenance on it. Thats what he says, anyway.

Fourth, and last was 1985 TPI corvette with a dougnash tranny. One thing that got me fromt the start was that I had to push the clutch all the way in to engage it. I am not sure if this is right or not. I pushed the pedal in quite a bit, and the car did not start, than I pushed it all the way in and it started. It idled fine at 700-800 in park. I did not have a chance to drive it yet, but the owner is an older colector guy who has way too many cars. He said that it ran great, but it needed few things. The door panel needed to be fixed. The hood has paint cracks on it, etc. Nothing mechanical though... 110K miles on it.

First one was 6grand, second one 5500, third one 4500, and fourth one was 4500.

Which one sounds good to you, and which one would you recomend I buy???

Thank you soo much for reading this and helping me out.

Sasa T.

Sasa,

It sounds as though you know a lot more about cars than I do, so I'm afraid I'm of no use in this decision. Hopefully someone with more useful advice will respond to your thread soon.

Welcome to the CAC.
:w Jane Ann

A "rough idling" 84 is not necessarily a problem. This is still a "wet flow" manifold...and the crossfire doesn't have the best fuel distribution among wet manifolds...they do sometimes idle a tad rough. It is VERY likely that every 84 you looked at needs a good tuneup, particularly TB balancing. Very few people know how to do that right.

Personally I would avoid the 4+3 transmission...very expensive when it starts giving you problems.

I work in S. Denver and have a LOT of experience with the 84...let me know if you'd like to get together and talk before you buy. Just DON'T do it "rushed"!

Bill

Thanks.

I am glad to be here, and I am happy to be around corvette enthusiasts.

geekinavette you got a pm my friend.

Please, anyone else that can chime in let me know what you think.

Sasa,

If you've already got reservations about these Corvettes, then step way back and do some more serious thinking!

I would also stay away from a 4+3 (Doug Nash) transmission, especially in the 84 and 85 years when they were very new and are prone to issues.

I'm not mechanically inclined but have owned quite a few Corvettes (including an 85 and an 88). They all have their problems, but the higher miles, the more problems you're apt to encounter.

My suggestion is to keep looking and get the newest year with the lowest mileage that you can afford.

Good luck...and let us know how your search goes!:)

Elaine

84 wasn't a great year nor 85. They seemed to get most problems resolved by 86 & 87 .But the cost is a little higher.I had an 87 and drove it for 200,000 miles with no major problems. Welcome and good luck,alot of vetts looking for good homes.

1 thing to remember about 84's is that over half of them got the Z51 suspension including mine. Great for pulling 1g on the skid pad but they ride like a Radio Flyer Wagon which I prefer anyhow.

Don't let the one with 81k scare you. I bought my 84 with 79k and it needed the TB's balanced. I have an excellent fellow tech that knows how to set up 84's. He did mine and let me tell you it made a world of difference. My car idles at 675 in drive and is smooth with only a hint of rough which is how a Vette should be anyhow. The throttle response on mine is incredible and I would put that up against any TPI from 85-91. Just as an FYI I paid 4900 for mine in October 2002. It needed and still does need paint which wil be done this late October. I gotta do some small interior stuff this winter but I love the car and depite what others think the 84 Vette is still a great Vette and near the top of the Vettes in handling at 1.01g on the skid pad in 1984 with Z51 suspension. I have a GTech and can pull .95 easily and have seen 1g on one on ramp(my favorite on ramp).

:beer

MoeJr said:
1 thing to remember about 84's is that over half of them got the Z51 suspension including mine. Great for pulling 1g on the skid pad but they ride like a Radio Flyer Wagon which I prefer anyhow.

Don't let the one with 81k scare you. I bought my 84 with 79k and it needed the TB's balanced. I have an excellent fellow tech that knows how to set up 84's. He did mine and let me tell you it made a world of difference. My car idles at 675 in drive and is smooth with only a hint of rough which is how a Vette should be anyhow. The throttle response on mine is incredible and I would put that up against any TPI from 85-91. Just as an FYI I paid 4900 for mine in October 2002. It needed and still does need paint which wil be done this late October. I gotta do some small interior stuff this winter but I love the car and depite what others think the 84 Vette is still a great Vette and near the top of the Vettes in handling at 1.01g on the skid pad in 1984 with Z51 suspension. I have a GTech and can pull .95 easily and have seen 1g on one on ramp(my favorite on ramp).

:beer

Ditto...84 wasn't a "bad" year so to speak. The issue with the 82 and 84 is simply a lack of knowledge out there on how to keep 'em running smoothly. Hell mine has 186K miles on it...yeah I've done a lot of work to it, but ANY car with that kind of miles is going to need some work! If you like to get your hands dirty and doing insane U-turns...then a 84 can be a VERY fun car! Even if you don't like to get your hands dirty...you have a shop pretty close to you that is one of the best...and I don't mind helping out now and then. :)

I can also vouch for the 1G+ lateral accel...been there done that! heheh

Bill

One thing I don't think GM realized with the 82 and 84 Cross FireCars is that you cannot mass produce a multiple carb/TB system and expect all the cars to run with a generic setting that worked on the test mule engine.

They had a Cross Ram intake for 67-69 Z28's but the were all dialed in before the customers got the car because they made so few and most if not all were dealer installed.

Yea, I am not concerned about the corssfire injection. I have a TBI Firebird thats pushing 230hp to the wheels (not bad for a 305 eh?) Anyways, TBI's work the same way that the TBI's do on the crossfire injection. So, I know how to set minimum air, and clean IAC etc. I am by no means scared to get down and dirty and do the synchornizing of the two TBI's

I am also dinking around with a crazy idea. Since the CF is pretty close to TBI I wanted to switch the intakes. The fuel preassure run in both of the system is around 9-13 psi, although TBI needs a bit more, no biggie with an 85 pump.
But I believe that I can work on CF no problemo. I am still looking for a vette though. A new one just poped up. Its an 85 that seems to be in great condition with all new brakes for 5500.

Anyways, geekinavette is gonna help me out with the 84 vette that has 81K on it. I think she would have another 100K in her before any major work needs to be done.
We'll see, keep em coming, It really helps to judge and decide what would be the best for me. I like to hear other opinions from vette owners since you guys know what goes wrong, and what could be problematic (spelling).

Thank you once again.

These are great cars, when they came out in 83 I lusted after them and finally got one. I love everything about the c4, it's a gorgeous car and tremendously fun to drive. But I hope you're open-minded about repairs, because these things are getting old and everything is breaking, like all machines. I've replaced many things over the years, luckily I could do most of the work myself, and not just because of the money but because mechanics can and do make mistakes (improper installation of transmission pan gasket, improper installation of intake manifold gaskets, failure to tighten oil pan drain bolt; these are just a few that happened to me). IMHO, you should buy the car that is in the best shape and that has been maintained regularly, because at this point, for the cars you're looking at, I'd think you'd do well to minimize the imminent, upcoming repairs. Unless you want to do a restoration.

Have to give my 2cents worth

I purchased my first corvette from corvettes only of Denver (http://www.corvettesonlydenver.com/)

They treated me very well. They detailed the car almost perfectly (and I am picky) it has not had any significant issues.

FYI I picked it up for $6900 with only 44k (Car fax verified)

Well, I ran into more problems today.

My rear end in the TA dook a dump.

I have to replace it by thursday for the kid thats buying it. I got everything done ready for emissions, replaced the flywheel etc. And as soon as I took it home bang.. THe rear end took a dive.

So I am not going to be around for few days untill its all fixed and ready to go.

From there I plan on getting that vette no matter what.

I told myself, if this was the vette that had this problem I would not be nearly as mad, just because its a vette. however, it would be hard to find a used rear end around here in Denver.

Oh, well, we'll see what happens.

Thanks soo much for your opinions guys, keep 'em coming.

I am not familiar with Cross fire either. Seeing you are from Denver I was going to say get in touch with geekinavette, but I see Bill has already posted. Get with Bill, he knows his stuff on the 84's.....and other years too, he has an 84 though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom