Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying NOM "283"

Prisonman

Corvette
1961 roadster
Need help on this one!
I have a 61 vette "102014"(Build date of 25 Oct 1960). I currently have a 350 in the car now and looking to replace with a correct "283"-Will never be a matching block. This gentleman has a 519 block with casting date of
J 14 0. Will this be a correct block to put in? And if so, what would be the engine assembly identification being that the cast date and birthday date are so close? I have a 270hp 2X4 BC,Hi-Lift Cam & Manual Transmission(code of CU) Any help would be appreciated

Hi!

The date looks fine to me you are proceeding the build date buy 11 days.

Ray

61 Silver said:
Hi!

The date looks fine to me you are proceeding the build date buy 11 days.

Ray
If the cast date looks good what would i need the front pad to indicate.(engine build date?) I dont know what time frame from the cast date to the engine build date and vehicle built date?

Just a side note, may save you grief later.... If I remember correctly when I rebuilt my 283, only a forged crank will fit this early casting.

studiog said:
Just a side note, may save you grief later.... If I remember correctly when I rebuilt my 283, only a forged crank will fit this early casting.
Thanks for the heads-up. I have all the original bolt-on items for the block and was hoping that this block will work for those dates. Any reccommendations as what type of forged crank?

Prisonman said:
Thanks for the heads-up. I have all the original bolt-on items for the block and aws hoping that this block will work for those dates. Any reccommendations as what type of forged crank?

I'll look and see if I have the GM part number somewhere in my files.
Could take a little while. :)

Prisonman said:
If the cast date looks good what would i need the front pad to indicate.(engine build date?) I dont know what time frame from the cast date to the engine build date and vehicle built date?

On a 61 you should have one set for the vin number and a second set with F (Flint) the engine assembly date numbers and the suffix.

You have 11 days to work with; I would split that 7 days from the casting to build and 4 days for the engine assembly to car assembly.

Ray

61 Silver said:
On a 61 you should have one set for the vin number and a second set with F (Flint) the engine assembly date numbers and the suffix.

You have 11 days to work with; I would split that 7 days from the casting to build and 4 days for the engine assembly to car assembly.

Ray
Engine assembly date of the 20th?

Prisonman said:
Engine assembly date of the 20th?

I'd make it the 18th; took a lot longer to get from Flint Engine to St. Louis by train than it did to get from the Saginaw Foundry to Flint Engine (one hour).
:beer

studiog said:

All 283 and 327 small-journal cranks were forged.

critchie said:
Make sure the date you pick isn't a holiday, Saturday, or Sunday.
How about the 18th.Its a tuesday, seven day days from vehicle build date of 25 oct 1960.I think this will work.

JohnZ said:
All 283 and 327 small-journal cranks were forged.

Incorrect, the last year of 283 production used cast cranks. That said, a forged 283 crank should be very easy to find.

Have a great day,
Doc

MBDiagMan said:
Incorrect, the last year of 283 production used cast cranks. That said, a forged 283 crank should be very easy to find.

Have a great day,
Doc

I should have been more specific - some '64 and later passenger car 283's were built with nodular iron cranks, but none were ever used in Corvettes, which stopped using 283's in 1961. The 847, 764, and 768 cast nodular iron 283 cranks are fairly rare birds these days.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom