Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-2 New Frames

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
Has anyone seen the new frames that are reproduced by Vette Products of Michigan? I have a 67 Coupe that has some frame rust and trying to determine if I should just replace it.. Restoration of entire frame (original) runs about $4000. I can buy a new one for $4400. If these NEW frames are as good as they say, I could sell my old frame and it would not be too bad. Any thoughts??? Kurt

They're excellent - Neil makes them (from the original GM tooling) about ten miles from me. The C1 frames are just as nice.

:beer

Subfixer, Great pictures!! Looking at the old rusted frame, I was thinking why not just replace the rail section?? Looks like the kick-ups were OK.. My frame rust is just on the bottom at the back edge, mostly left side. I was thinking, if I was to repair mine, I would just patch in the lower 1/2 of the rail. Or, just buy a complete and be done with it. I would think my old frame would be worth something.. Thanks, Kurt

Make sure that the 3rd crossmember is not rusted through within the frame pocket....sometimes hard to determine.....I have seen that twice already. One of which was my own car.

Hello John Z
You mentioned you know the fellow that does the frames. Do you know of how he stamps them? I am speaking only out of personal interest as I am a tool and die maker and am interested in his process.
Unless he has a stamping operation, I would wonder if he would just rent press time from someone who has the capacity to do this. There would be some big equipment involved. (hyd or big press)
It would be an impressive sight

What you didn't see in the kickups is that they were really swiss cheese. I put a drop light into the trailing arm slots and it was like looking at a starlit sky from the outside. Both kickups were paper thin. Everything is MUCH better now.

Hi guys, I'm a newbe to this forum but some of the names look familiar.
I’ve got a question about these replacement frames. Does it decrease the value of a numbers matching car to put in one of these frames as oppose to repairing the old one?
Thanks

Mike

I believe it will decrease the value, because it is no longer the original piece. I did my replacement as a matter of convenience, and my car's a driver anyway. No one's gonna see the frame as I blow past them.
If you want to retain your original frame, it's a LOT of work to repair it piecemeal and hide the evidence. But if originality is your thing, go for it.

henny496 said:
Hello John Z
You mentioned you know the fellow that does the frames. Do you know of how he stamps them? I am speaking only out of personal interest as I am a tool and die maker and am interested in his process.
Unless he has a stamping operation, I would wonder if he would just rent press time from someone who has the capacity to do this. There would be some big equipment involved. (hyd or big press)
It would be an impressive sight
He rents press time in several Detroit-area heavy stamping plants (there are lots of them here) and makes batch runs of the raw stampings, using the original GM/A.O. Smith die sets, and assembles them in his own facility using the original GM/A.O. Smith welding fixtures. These are BIG draw/trim/pierce/flange dies, so the setup is time-consuming and expensive; not like the die process used in today's tri-axis transfer presses like Komatsu and Schuler (I've built several satellite stamping plants with that technology in the mid-90's).

blue 66 said:
Hi guys, I'm a newbe to this forum but some of the names look familiar.
I’ve got a question about these replacement frames. Does it decrease the value of a numbers matching car to put in one of these frames as oppose to repairing the old one?
Thanks

Mike

For anything other than NCRS "Bowtie" or Bloomington/NCCB "Survivor" judging (which very few owners participate in), I'd think a brand-new frame wouldn't decrease the value of the car at all. The reproduction frames can't be told from the originals once they're painted and under a car, there are VERY few points allocated to them in NCRS Flight Judging, and with the frame being the most expensive potential problem for old Corvettes from a purchaser's perspective, a brand-new frame could be a significant selling point for a car. It wouldn't hold me back, and I'm a purist.

Thanks for the info

I am and then again I’m not a purist! As long as I own the car (and I have no plans on ever selling) I will make improvements but will keep the old parts incase anyone wants to put them back. But the frame is a whole different story. I’d have to rent another garage to store the old frame and the rest of the parts plus the cost of patching the old frame…it’s not worth it! The car is a driver and as far as I’m concerned it will always be a driver. I just don’t want to do something foolish (like that’s never happened before) if I can help it!

Thanks for the advice

Mike

JohnZ said:
For anything other than NCRS "Bowtie" or Bloomington/NCCB "Survivor" judging (which very few owners participate in), I'd think a brand-new frame wouldn't decrease the value of the car at all. The reproduction frames can't be told from the originals once they're painted and under a car, there are VERY few points allocated to them in NCRS Flight Judging, and with the frame being the most expensive potential problem for old Corvettes from a purchaser's perspective, a brand-new frame could be a significant selling point for a car. It wouldn't hold me back, and I'm a purist.
John,

I agree 100 % with your comments.

The only identifier on the original frame is the VIN derivative that is stamped on the rail. My understanding is that can be duplicated with a greneric set of stamps as they were not stamped with the same "stamp set" that was used on the blocks and trans.

I have been thinking of replacing my frame with a brand new one. If I plan to keep the car forever, then it is a good investment and will ensure a solid base for a long time.

Take care,
Brian

Old 64 Vette frame on Ebay presently $255.00

kobi67 said:
Subfixer, Great pictures!! Looking at the old rusted frame, I was thinking why not just replace the rail section?? Looks like the kick-ups were OK.. My frame rust is just on the bottom at the back edge, mostly left side. I was thinking, if I was to repair mine, I would just patch in the lower 1/2 of the rail. Or, just buy a complete and be done with it. I would think my old frame would be worth something.. Thanks, Kurt
Kurt,
You may want to watch the ebay listing #4502978786
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4502978786
So far its selling for $225.00... Not much, but it may end up selling for more.
Also, What does everyone think about power coating the frame? Should it be done or should it be keep the same (ever though the frame isn't orginal)
Craig

If I purchase a new frame it will be powder coated. If I refurbish the old frame I would leave it as stock as possible.

But I guess it really boils down to what’s the purpose of the car. My is a driver but in my case all the numbers match. If some one wanted to they could make her a trailer queen! What a good waist of car!

I wonder if there is a way to get a quantity discount on these frames??? So far there are three of us interested.. $4295.00... I figure, if I repair my frame with all the parts and labor, I'd be in it for $2000-$3000, and have a patched, thin in areas frame. The old frame has value, sell it...For what these cars are worth, I figure its worth a new frame...Who's interested??? Kurt

I'm there!

kobi67 said:
I wonder if there is a way to get a quantity discount on these frames??? So far there are three of us interested.. $4295.00... I figure, if I repair my frame with all the parts and labor, I'd be in it for $2000-$3000, and have a patched, thin in areas frame. The old frame has value, sell it...For what these cars are worth, I figure its worth a new frame...Who's interested??? Kurt
Kurt
I'm there... I was hoping that they had a military discount....
Craig

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom