Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-4 315 offset Required for flush fit

wildbill486

Corvette
lol...(ie: 1987 Bright Red Coupe)
I searched numerous threads looking for the exact wheel offset needed for getting the almost flush fit with tread and fender. I easily found it last Winter but am struggling now to find the readily given info so freely shared here by all who know. Thanks, and repeat confirmation will be much appreciated as I'm pulling the trigger on this purchase for a much needed trip with my C-4 loving partner in July. :)

For some strange reason, my rear tires are almost bald. Gotta love the 96 LT-4. :thumb

It sounds like you want to put 315/35ZR17s on the rear of a narrow body car without the flares used on the rear of the 96 GS coupes.

Is that correct?

Yes Hib, that's exactly what I meant. I remember two offsets, one being the ZR-1 and the other being for us flare less cats. Thanks for the clarification, something I struggle within the abstract world of discourse.

You can't do it.

There are only two stock wheels for 315s. The ZR-1 rear for wide body cars and the Grand Sport Coupe rear for narrow body cars with the GS Coupe flares.

If you put wheels on the back which put the rim such that it doesn't stick out, the tires will rub chassis, body and suspension on the inside.

ZR-1 11" wheel offset 36mm
GS 11" wheel offset 50mm

All have the size cast into the backside of one of the spokes.

You can't do it.

There are only two stock wheels for 315s. The ZR-1 rear for wide body cars and the Grand Sport Coupe rear for narrow body cars with the GS Coupe flares.

If you put wheels on the back which put the rim such that it doesn't stick out, the tires will rub chassis, body and suspension on the inside.

I beg to differ. I have had 315's on 11 inch GS wheels since 1997, on my 1992 and never have I experienced any rubbing on the chassis, body and suspension.

I beg to differ. I have had 315's on 11 inch GS wheels since 1997, on my 1992 and never have I experienced any rubbing on the chassis, body and suspension.

Thanks and good stuff from all. It stands to reason that the GS LT-4 collector edition would have the same everything as my LT-4 coupe except, wider tires thus requiring the flares (I've been wrong before though) ;). Someone might have said something about a certain brand of tire rubbing due to bulbous sidewall protrusion Hib.

Thanks and good stuff from all. It stands to reason that the GS LT-4 collector edition would have the same everything as my LT-4 coupe except, wider tires thus requiring the flares (I've been wrong before though) ;). Someone might have said something about a certain brand of tire rubbing due to bulbous sidewall protrusion Hib.

Got it. Maybe I should have done a better job of reading Hib's comment.

The OP stated the goal was using an 11x17 rear wheel and 315/35 tire with a flush fit to the wheel opening.

You can't do that on a narrow body car without moving the wheel centerline in so far that the inside of the tire may interfere with chassis, body or suspension.

That is why, when the GS Coupe was developed, they used the 11x17x50mm along with a fender flare. If they'd gone to, say, a 60 or 65mm offset, yes the tire would not have stuck out but the inside would have rubbed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom