Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-5 Supercharger by ATI Procharger

C

caccobra

I just installed this system on my 2001 LS-1 6-speed (mag red convertible). If anyone wants to know more about it, let me know. I can hook you up with a good distributor to work with. Anyone that is reasonably mechanically inclined can install this system themselves as I did in just a few hours. It is specifically designed for the C-5 and is well engineered with replacement parts so that if you ever want to return the car to stock, you have your original pieces intact without any drilling, cutting or modifications. I highly recommend it. The car should now be running about 550 h.p. on a stock LS-1 with Corsa cat back exhaust. I'm now looking to bag my first Viper or some other car that some fool paid too much money for....

I have been considering a ProCharger for another project, a carbed non emissions small block in my custom '69 C10. Have you had the opportunity to get a feel for the performance increase yet? How is it off idle, highway passing ect?

I have all of their info and really like the looks of their packages. Glad to hear that they are a no hassle installation.

Tom

Answer to Tom Bryant

The performance increase is incredible. I was surprised at how quickly it gets to the redline now. I'm not familiar with ProCharger's carbureted setups, but I am very impressed with their product for the C-5 and I think C-4 owners have had a system available from ProCharger for a while now. A lot of people spend a lot more time time and money trying to squeeze more h.p. and performance out of their Corvettes that even include complete engine teardowns, etc. and they don't get these kind of results. This was simple and the results were better than what you get with that approach. The reliablility of the car is maintained (don't have to pull the motor apart) as well as the originality, if you ever want to return it to stock (that is important to NCRS folks) and it is as smooth as glass in the way it performs. That little tattletale whistle is kinda nice to have people listen to when you pull up next to them too.
This was just a couple of weekends in my garage with the car up on my hoist (Backyard Buddy) working at my own pace with no one else leaning over the fenders but me (if you know what I mean). Look them up at www.procharger.com for info on your application. Then call John Harris at Texas Automotive Export (512-858-7216) or email him at jmharris@texas.net and tell him you spoke to me to get pricing. He's someone that you can talk to and can trust. He'll get you a great deal and will work with ProCharger to order what you need, based on what you have already done to your car. With the C-5's, even if you have already made modifications to your engine and exhaust, they can incorporate those changes into the SuperChips, Inc. Micro Tuner that comes with the kit. The only change I made to mine was to add Corsa Pace Car Exhaust, so mine is a factory stock LS-1 motor. This car would probably run in the high 11's at the strip and I feel that the 0-60 time is now under 4 sec's. The supercharger starts to really kick in at about 2000 rpm and pushes you back in your seat from that point on. It wants to rip the tires off the car from about a 20mph roll in first gear and when I hit second gear it just launches! You must turn off the Active Handling System before putting your foot into it, that's for sure. That is world class sports car performance that some people foolioshly pay hundreds of thousands for.
Good luck with your project. If I can be of any more help, let me know.

So how do you like the sound of that thing spinning under the hood? Does it sound cool or what? Kind of hard to hide what you have at that point.

My power steering pump is worn out on the 90 and really whines when it gets hot with autcrossing. I have had more than one track worker approach me to ask questions about my .........................supercharger. Oh well, maybe some day.

Nikki would love to have one of these on her C5. At least now I can smoke a stock C5 with my modified 90. I would have to get out the Rat Powered 69 to put her in her place if she had a Pro-Charger :SLAP

to 69MyWay

Yeah it really does sound cool. It is only a slight whistling sound at idle and at slow speeds. Most people won't even know what it is. In fact a neighbor of mine, who has heard superchargers before, wasn't sure until I opened the hood. He used to think his F-body Ram Air Trans Am was faster than my stock C-5 (he's running 12.80's after several mods including headers, computer chip, exhaust, K&N, street slicks - you know, all the usual stuff guys do to try to get better performance). When I pulled away and then hit it, I could see his jaw drop in my rear view mirror! He won't be thinking any thoughts like that anymore.

What do you have in your 69? If she puts a ProCharger on her 90, you may have problems keeping up with her. It won't be the same as a C-5, but with a 6-speed, she would be hard for you to beat.

Since you seem to favor the older cars, here's a shot of my Cobra. I think the C-5 is now faster than even it is. Hope you like it.

Sounds like a great mod. Congratulations on your efforts!

Wow, that cobra is sweet. That is the only other old car I would seriously consider fooling around with.

Hmmmm, let's just say that my 69 is packing a heck of a punch. Nothing like 468 cubes of aluminum headed forged pistoned, multi port fuel injected muscle screeming through a muncie four speed and 3.55 posi with a set of HUGE hooker side pipe headers to wake somebody up.

The only problem is, that two years down the road and it has yet to go the first mile (less you count moving it back and forward in the garage).

Click on my logo below to enter my home page and cruise around a little. My 69 project is not that well documented there yet (click on photos to see), but I will eventually clean it all up and make sense of it all.

Thanks for sharing your cobra and supercharger. Sure wish I was your neighbor, then again, our wives would not see much of us.

Thanks for the reply. Does John Harris beat the factory price sheet on the ProChargers? I have also been thinking about one on my '59 blowing through a Rochester FI. Kind of new/old tech. I'll need to make up my mind which will get the blower before I build engines for these 2 projects though.

Great Cobra too,

Tom

Reply to Tom Bryant

Yes, John Harris does beat Pro Charger's price. He can get them for you at dealer cost (about an $1,100 savings on the C-5 unit). Give him a call and let him know what you are interested in. I've known John for several years. I was referred to him when I was searching for original parts for my Cobra several years ago. He saved me a ton of money and we became good friends through all my "projects" like this one. He is a good source of information as well as someone that you can work comfortably with.

I recommend John to any Corvette owner looking to get a good price on aftermarket goodies like this. He can have the stuff drop shipped to you from the manufacturer and save you $.

Just tell him Craig sent you.

Craig,

Are you using an interlcooler in your system? If so which one. The 2 or 3 row?

Tom

reply to Tom Bryant

Yes. I'm not sure how many rows each one has, but they are pretty thick. It is a twin air to air intercooler system. One goes in each front brake duct area (after removing the brake duct and relocating the A.I.R. pump on the driver's side and flipping the horns up on the passenger side). If you call ProCharger's tech line at (913) 338-3086 from 9-5 CST, I'm sure they can tell you the specifics on the intercoolers. I'll tell you this though. They must be working pretty well, because the car is running 20-25 degrees cooler than it used to for some reason and I don't think it is just because of the new cooling fan that comes with it. It used to run at 220 pretty consistently and now it is more like 195-200. The high speed mode on the fan hasn't had to come on yet at all! Another nice feature with this system is that you don't have to tap the oil pan to get oil to the blower. It uses its own oil sytem and it is all self contained. So no threat of contamination to the motor if the blower has a problem. You just use ProCharger's oil, change it after the first 500 miles and then evey 6,000 miles after that. They give you a syphon to suck it out from the fill hole because the drain plug is in a very tight spot on the bottom of the unit and would be tough to get to. It is a magnetic plug, so I will have to take it out once in a while and clean it off I'm sure.

I was reading in the info package where you are restricted to about 6 pounds of boost with the ignition retard feature in a non-intercooled application to avoid detination. With the intercoolers you can run much higher boost without the ignition retard and no worries of detination. I'll bet that the increase in air density and the cooler intake charge have a lot to do with the engine running cooler too.

The SC (self contained) series of superchargers is a great idea. No worries of oil lines breaking or leaking not to mention ease of installation. Now the big problem would be that the P1SC has a diameter of 9" and that is about what I have from the top of the steering box (which is right next to the LH exhaust manifold in the '59) to the under side of the hood. Tight to say the least. If I could find a hood that has already been ruined with a scoop or damage I could remove the inner support in that area and gaine a couple inches. Hmmmmm. This will give me something to think about.

Tom

I too have been thinking (dreaming?) about the Procharger add-on; the thing is, with my limited modifications so far, I already feel I should start working on the suspension......going fast in a straight line is great, but I'm looking for real handling too. So I get new brakes, shocks, and sway bars. Handles better, so what next? Heads and cam? No, I better wait. Gotta go with a new torque converter (for us A4 types), better thrust rod, and a new rear end. Ok, now the heads and cam.....what the hell, put on new headers too. Well, since I'm already up to around 450 rwhp now (after reprogramming....add a few $), I might as well get the Procharger. That should get me up to around 650 minimum. Hmmm, wonder if I'm gonna have any money left for tires (I know I'll be needing them)? Jeez, I can dream, can't I? It's late night.

Jim

How did the ProCharger affect the mileage?

With the larger fuel injectors, what gas milage are you getting crusing on the fwy? (Compared to about 28 mpg in my exp.)
Thanks,
Ken

To MilYellow2000

I've put about 400 miles on it since installing it and I haven't noticed any appreciable difference so far. It uses 38lb/hr injectors now, but I think under normal driving conditions (with the 6 speed) gas economy will be about the same. Of course, if you add horsepower like this you can expect to use more fuel because I guarantee you will have your foot in it more often. It's just so much more fun to drive with the added power and speed!It turns a great car into a fantastic one. I'm going to have to change my license plate now.

:cool :bu

dyno it yet?

Graig,

Superb! I do looked for the procharger mod, but for me it is too expencive to get. Also the C4 kit has limited space fo the intercooler.

I have ordered for my vette a whipple charger and I will do the install my self, along with the fabication of the brakets and intercooler. This is for me the cheepest way to put a supercharger on my vette.

I would love to see a Dyno writing of your killervette, if you do so, would you be so kind to e-mail me a copy?

86 tpi zf-6 Modified L98 270hp & 317 lb.ft Rearwheelpower

Hey caccobra,
Beautiful Cobra there(rather partial to the British roadsters myself ). Couple of questions:
Do you vintage race it at Waterford Hills? Also, how do you like the Backyard Buddy? I'd like to stack my TR6 on top of my new vette and that was one I was considering. Would you buy that one again given the chance?
Brett

to: Roadster Fan

Nice car you got there. Nothing like a roadster for pure Corvette enjoyment. What year is the TR6?

No I don't vintage race the Cobra. I don't have the heart to screw up the paint job (too many hours spent getting it right) from stones at the track. But I do terrorize the streets with it. I used to show it, but I just cruise with it these days. Of course, since I put the supercharger on the 2001, the Cobra hasn't been out much.

Yes, the Backyard Buddy is a good choice. It has never given me any trouble and I've had it for about 9 years now. Just call them and talk to Anita. Tell her you talked to Craig in Northville and you want their best deal. You'll need to have at least a 10' 8" ceiling in your garage and you will need to run the garage door track up to the ceiling. The whole thing will run around $3,000 or so, including redoing the door tracks.

How soon do you take delivery? Did you order through Les Stanford?

to caccobra

My TR6 is a beautiful little '74 with 10 yrs of absolutely trouble free summer cruising. My vette ships friday from Bowling Green. Hope to get it early next week. I had planned on selling the TR6 when the vette was delivered. Only a 2 car garage with no room to expand. My wife brought up that when I bought the car at the Novi auction I said I would never sell it (due to it's exceptional condition) if I were to get another roadster.
Well heck, if that wasn't an endorsement to keep it ...... as long as she could keep her car in the garage. Then I recalled the conversation with the gentleman I purchased the car from. I had asked him why he was selling it. He replied that he had had a stroke and that when he recovered he decided to purchase a new vette as he had always dreamed of owning one. Kind of a " better enjoy life while you can" attitude. But the bummer part was his '92 vette had been in the shop off and on 4 of the previous 6 months with transmission and electronic problems. He was lamenting that he should never have sold the TR6. Another 2x4 upside my head.
So I've raised the garage door rails and am checking out the car lifts. Got 9'5" clearance....should work as both cars sit 48" tall.
Would love to cruise by and check out your cars this summer.
Brett

Just curious, i've heard with the Eaton style blower from LPE you need a high rise hood for clearance, did you need that for the procharger? I've been looking @ a procharger setup for a Vortec 6000, they're the best setups, imo. I'm not a huge fan of roots or twin screw's, but ya can't beat them (well, unless you go w/ TT's for the top end route) Glad you enjoy the 'vette though. And dayum, a vette and a Cobra....what bank did you knock off? jk. Enjoy 'em while ya got 'em. Glad to hear also you're not lettin the cobra go to waste...ya have it for a reason....so drive it!! lol

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom