Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C&D Magazine, Nov. 07: Dempster Corvette II

Corvette
2006 'Evil Stealth Black' Roadster
As I write this, I'm at my aunt's place in California. I got here Tuesday evening to be a part of some festivities for my Grandmother's 87th birthday. No sooner had I walked in the door than my aunt's husband hands me a copy of the November, 2007 edition of Car & Driver magazine.

Why would he do this? Have any of you seen the November edition yet? It's worth a look.

To recreate a 1976 story called "Alaska Highway" in which Brock Yates took C3 1,138 miles through Canada and Alaska, John Phillips decided to do one better.

He found a 2005 "Manufacturers Validation Build" or mule which had hosted a variety of factory installed engines and transmissions, lived it's' short life doing a variety of tests and enduring unpleasant circumstances, and was finally being consigned to the crusher. Rescuing it from that fate, he equipped it for his trip, and drove 968 miles from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory to Inuvik, Northwest Territory (a mere 60 miles from the Arctic Circle). And then he drove it back.

Bad roads, small towns with buildings that aren't exactly built on firm foundations, wildlife that scoff at a Corvette, and road conditions that would leave Remo needing extensive psycho-therapy if he attempted it with his Lingenfelter 'vert, this story is a pretty good read. I've scoured the C&D website, but they don't make the article available unless you're a subscriber to the magazine, so unfortunately, you'll need to plunk down a couple of bucks to buy it at your local bookstore or newsstand.

So how did it end? I won't spoil it for you, but suffice it to say that '05 mule is soon to find a permanent home in the NCM. ;)

-Patrick

Great feature article. Too bad they could't drive fast - 25-40 mph due to the nature of the roads. At least they had the 4400 mile roundtrip between Alaska and Michigan although having that rack on top of the vette would be pretty hard to explain. Plus NO flats!!!!!!!!!!!

Great feature article. Too bad they could't drive fast - 25-40 mph due to the nature of the roads. At least they had the 4400 mile roundtrip between Alaska and Michigan although having that rack on top of the vette would be pretty hard to explain. Plus NO flats!!!!!!!!!!!

True, but from the pictures and the description of the road, I don't believe ANY vehicle goes faster than about 40 MPH. But the fact that they got no flats and had no mishaps during entire round trip was quite an accomplishment for the Corvette!

I loved some of the comments from locals when they saw a Corvette with a mounted roof rack on it. All in all, a very good article.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom