Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 neutral saftey switch

tsarbar

Corvette
Riverside Red 63 F.I. Coupe, Torch Red 61 w/540
Anyone have information on what the correct wiring configuration is for C1's with an automatic trans? I've looked in the A.I.M., but I only see the diagram for 4 speeds. On the page for automatics there is no wiring schematic that shows the proper hook up for the neutral saftey switch relay! :confused

Chris,
If you look on RPO 313 sheet 3 you will see the conection diagram for a powerglide car. The relay has 3 terminals on it and one terminal is common to both the coil and load on the relay. If you check the terminal at the top to both the sides with a ohm meter, you will find one side open and the other has the resistance of the coil. When current flows in the common terminal, through the coil and is directed to ground through the neutral safety switch on the transmission, the coil pulls in and connects the common terminal to the starter terminal and the starter will operate.
Regards, John McGraw

Correct? Chris, did I hear you say CORRECT???? :L

For me, the big difference between the regular wiring schematic and my automatic wiring harness is that the wire going to the starter solenoid is yellow instead of purple. For us, the purple wire (along with the other end of the yellow wire) get sent to the safety switch relay.

For me, I don't have a relay either. I just sent the purple and yellow wires straight back to the neutral safety switch on the Gennie shifter. It's a simple on/off switch.

- Mike Greene

Mike,
Running the solenoid wire to the transmission switch will come back to haunt you in short order! The tiny contacts in this switch will not carry the current that is needed to operate the solenoid for very long. This is the only reason that a relay was installed to begin with. A relay will cost less than even one replacement of those rare neutral safety switches. I would be very surprised if the contacts were to last more than a few days. I have uncrimped many of these switches in order to return them to working order, and you would be amazed how small the contacts are!
Regards, John McGraw

I hear you, John. If it were an original switch from a Powerglide, I wouldn't do it that way.

But this is an aftermarket Gennie shifter and switch and I called them to specifically ask if this is how I should wire it. It's what they recommended, so I'll give it a go.

- Mike Greene

Hi Mike,
I didn't key in on the fact that you were using an aftermarket shifter with a switch on it!
Regards, John McGraw

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom