Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 electric Cooling Fan

Corvette
78 Restro
I've kicking around the idea of changing my 78 over to electric fan/s. I'm not sure about it though. I've heard good and bad from people that have put them on.

So here are some questions I have;
1. single or twin fans

2. Will the fans off like a 85 or so vette fit easily

3. If not #2 them what make/type

4. How much work is it to change

5. Is it really worth it

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gary

Dual Spal 11" set to both run at the same time 195"on stat 185"off thermostat switch is in the intake manifold.
Also have a stewart hi flow water pump .
Fans were one of my best investments.
Down side if your sitting in a dirty parking lot they will kick up some dirt they move a lot of air.

I know that flex-a-lite makes a nice dual fan setup with a control module that will bring them on a varying speeds and even let them run for a bit after shutdown. It is a bit pricey though.
It is a moodel 295 and you can see it at:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/Press/295 perf.doc

If you want to go the low budget approach, (I admit I am a cheap a$$) go to the local bone yard an get a fan from a mid 90's Cadillac Sedan Deville, anything with a v8 (the HT4100). I paid $30 for mine. pull as much of the wiring as you can, I took the relays also. The setup will allow for 3 different speeds. I am only using high. It is a large fan that fits the height of the vette rad support perfectly. I had to drill two holes to mount the bottom and make a custom bracket for the top of the fan. I dont have any pics but can take some if anyone is interested in this.

You can use and adjustiblre thermostat to turn it on and off there is a universal on made by Imperial PArt # 226203 I got it in Strauss Auto for about $20.

So far it has kept the engine right at 180 degrees and seems to be fine.

Scott

I use a single "Black Max" 15" from flexalite it comes with a thermostat and was easy to install and keeps my Vette running where I set it. I use my computer to controll fan on and off with the built in thermostat on the fan as a backup.

Summit part number flx 150
Vendor: Flex-a-lite Consolidated
Product Line: Flex-a-lite Black Magic Electric Fans
Material: Plastic
Finish: Black
Length: 18 in.
Width: 4 in.
Height: 16.125 in.
Diameter: 15 in. Fan

The Flex-a-lite model 295 will NOT fit in a C3 no matter what their web site says. I know, I ordered one and it needs about 3 more inches to clear the A-arms. I called Flex-a-lite and they sheepishly admitted as much. The 210 fits perfect however.

Hi

A cheaper way and keeping the sort of original look would be to get one from an 81 Vette. I have no mechanical fan on my car and rely on the single electric oe fan that came with the car. I have had no problems the only thing I did was wire in a switch so that I can turn it on manually if required just for a bit of added safety.

J.

lectric fans

two 12inch hayden electric fans staggered fit right in between the tanks of a stock c3 radiator. quiet efficient and for 100 bucks you cant beat it. does away with the shroud, mechanical fan and you can remount the alternator on the pass side down low like the p/steering is mounted on driver side. Cleans up the front of the engine.:cool :cool

Fishman said:
Unless you are overheating, why change? Put the money elsewhere.

Free up some horsepower :)

Joe

I used a '87 vete fan, and an '89 aluminum/plastic radiator from an '89 Camaro...Z28....same core size..and cut the shroud depth about 3-4 inches worth, and installed the fan with pipe wrapping foam around for airflow reasons....works like a charm, computer controlled with the injection...

GENE

Fishman said:
How much extra will you get? I'm always looking for a little hp add too.

Do a search. You'll find a debate on this. Increased HP from not driving the mechanical fan but decreased HP from increased draw on the alternator to produce electricity to drive the fans.

You have people on both sides of this. I'm just posting the info and don't know the answer.

Bob

I do think that this has been settled, by now. Didn't one of the magazines do a "before and after" test?

In any case, the difference is that the electric fan is a constant draw, while the mechanical fan draws more as RPMs increase. Fans only really operate efficiently at particular ranges of speed. The electric setup keeps the fan at the correct speed all the time, while the mechanical setup causes the fan to operate at a whole range of speeds. In particular, a mechanical engine fan operates very inefficiently at higher RPMs, and is the largest parasitic loss at that time. You won't gain much (if anything) at idle with an electric fan, but the gains increase as the revs go up.

Joe

a mechanical engine fan operates very inefficiently at higher RPMs

I am not attempting to debate, I am trying to learn here. So consider this reply as my learning experience and correct me please if I am wrong. I have a clutch fan, I thought there would be no drag on the engine at high RPMs/speeds because the fan is free-wheeling at that point. This is what I have been told before... but other people do not always offer the best advise. ;help

Here's my thoughts on electric fans. You can throw all the pros and cons at each side. However electric fans are more controllable, they are lighter than a big rotating fan and clutch out the front of the engine. They are quieter at speed because they are probably off. They only come on when needed. The big ole ugly shroud goes bye bye and sells on ebay for 100 bucks. The engine compartment opens up and the alternator can be moved elsewhere. I mounted mine on the pass side down low and turned around backwards. All belts become shorter and less expensive. You can't lose a finger to the fanblade doctor. The purist scream and thats okay however my work in progress is a little less cluttered and easier to work on up front especially when I get my aluminum water pump and pulleys installed. Pros and cons gentleman I'll take mine cause I'm certainly not a purist. My ole car updates okay with the new fangled stuff.

Oh yeah I forgot that my alternator is one of them little metric ones off an old chevy station wagon. It pulls 106 amps at 900 rpm so the electric draw of two fans is really neglible.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom