Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 or C4 for Arthritic Knee

brian7836

Corvette
1980 Frost Beige
At 65 I am looking for my 1st Vet. Since I have arthritis in my right knee I am concerened about which model would be easiest to live with C3 or C4. Thanks for your opinions!!!

Not to get too nosy, but to what degree is your arthritis?

I have a very slow arthritis since I was sixteen, controlled with meds. Nothing about the '85 Vette gives me a particular problem. The gas pedal location and spring is fine, and the tilt/tele wheel makes positioning very easy.

However, my partner has profound arthritis in both knees, walks with a cane, and needs a wheelchair when it flares. No matter what, she needs me to lift her out of the Vette (not that this stopped her from wanting the car!).

I can't speak, though, to the C3.

Kathy

brian7836 ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

This is my personal observation ;) I've owned every generation with exception of a C5 and the ease of entry and exiting are:

• C2
  • C5
  • C3
  • C1 (Not much steering wheel room for the heavy midsection types ;LOL)
  • C4

The C4 is a fantastic Corvette, But you don't slide in or out of one, you more or less take aim and fall in and Hoist yourself out of one :D

C5

I think the C5 is the easiest to get in and out of.
C4 is sort of like jumping into a hole, and while I do sort of slide down the C3 seat, I don't have a high ledge (like the C4) to lift my legs over when getting in or out.

If your choice is C3 or C4, I'd probably lean towards the C3.

The only problem I have with exiting my vette is when I am a passenger. Unless Kenny comes around to assist me, my right hip will try to pop out of socket when I swing my right leg out. With Kenny helping me, I hold his hands and swivel on my seat to lift both legs out at the same time.
Heidi

Welcome to the forum!

brian7836 said:
At 65 I am looking for my 1st Vet. Since I have arthritis in my right knee I am concerened about which model would be easiest to live with C3 or C4. Thanks for your opinions!!!

I would say a C5 is the easiest for the in's & out's.
A friend of mine who is in his late 60's, owns a c3 and c4 both. I have the feeling the c3 is the easier of the two but a c5 would be best overall :)

Welcome to the :CAC

Ohhh my!!!

78SilvAnniv said:
... my right hip will try to pop out of socket when I swing my right leg out. With Kenny helping me, I hold his hands and swivel on my seat to lift both legs out at the same time.
Heidi
OUUUUUCH!!!! If that dosen't paint a picture of pain:eek
Although it would make a great excuse to say "I have to drive for the sake of my hip" ;) )

I have bad knees myself from running. That is the one thing that does scare me about someday owning a C4. If my knees start aching, I have to reposition them a bit. The legroom in a C3 is quite good considering it is a Vette. I can't say the same for the C4s I've driven though.

Like others have stated, the C5s are great in this department but they also have that price tag to deal with.:eyerole

Best of luck!

The C5 and C2 are the easiest to get in, and the C4 is the hardest. If ya cant easily get into a small military veichal (sp?), then you probally wouldnt be able to easily get into the C4 :L

So out of C4 and C3, go for the C3.

Well I own one of each and while the C4 is more comfortable on long drives, the C3 is much easier getting in and out.

Carlo

Brian: My two cents.
I have the following in the garage;

Early C3 (69) with hard foam in the seats tilt-and-telly steering wheel
Later C3 (79) factory deep seats tilt-and-telly
Earlier C4 (89) standard seats (not sport) tilt-and-telly
And a C5 sport seats tilt-and-telly.

Forget the C4, very high sill and dash protrudes in toward the seats also after ’89 the steering only tilts (if I recall correctly) since it then got the air bag. And foot wells are narrow.

Early C3 ’68 had a 16”steering wheel ’69 and later a 15inch steering wheel did not tilt or telly. I would say as easy to get into as a C5 and easer to get out of than a C5. The C5’s seat feels lower to the ground and I find I have to put my hand on the doorjamb of the C5 to help myself out.

Later C3 and C5 about the same getting in and out.

IF I had mobility issues I would keep the C5, doors are easer to open and close and lock, lots of room inside compared to C3 and a trunk for a walker or wheel chair if need be. But other that than that the Sharks are wild looking cars where the new one are just nice looking cars.

George

Hay I have a total knee replacment in my left knee. My right knee has had all the cartilage taken out (waiting on a replacement when it gets bad enough) but I only need to push the seat all the way back to get in or out with out any problems. This is my first Vet. I have had a lot of other muscle cars but this is a new adventure. But I am only 55 so what would I know. Find one that talks to you and buy it, then have some fun.
Del:drink

I've been having some trouble with my left knee (which is why I have an auto instead of a stick - clutches are not fun for me right now), and I didn't find the '79 difficult to get in and out of. With the adjustable seat and tilt-tele wheel, the interior can be moved out of the way, and then all that is left is to get in or out.

Personally, I found that the easiest way was to my right leg in, then hold onto the roof while I slid my left leg in, then just lower myself in. To get out, I'd do the opposite, except I'd take my right leg out first, since it could hold the weight. I guess you would just have to reverse legs, since you are dealing with a right knee problem, and I was dealing with a left knee problem.

The side benefit is that it looks pretty cool if you do it smoothly - one guy who saw me slide in like that thought I was doing it to show off :)

Joe

how tall are you? at 6' 3", i find fitting my legs in my C3 is a big problem and they aren't always the most comfortable.

Curse you Heidi !!(JK)
I have never driven a Vette !. I however have ridden in one and I got in and out ok. But what you said about your hip Hit a nerve or a joint ;)
I have had both of my hips replaced when I was 44 (am now 47) and just three months agow I dislocated my left hip I dislocated it after a trying to catch a badly thrown frisbee (thrown by a son who is now removed from my will)
But not to worry after I read what you said I called my Dr. and he said to just rotate (like you said) as I get out and all will be ok.Even then he said that he dident think it would be enough to make the hip dislocate.

Earl
Just 4 days til I have a 38 year dream come true !!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom