Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 rear sway bar

trower

Corvette
1977 Tan Corvette with 1992 corvette LT1 engine
I am going to add a rear sway bar to my 77 C3. I see several thickness' for the bar from 5/8 to 3/4 to 7/8 and probably more. What do you guys think would be the best fit for a weekend cruiser?

If your '77 would have had the FE7 heavy duty suspension it would have had a 11.12MM rear bar. That's about .438 inches so even a 5/8" (.625) bar would be a heavier bar than a '77 HD. Leaving the springs and front bar original I really can't see going any thicker than that. If it oversteers really bad when pushed you might want to consider going heavier but if it doesn't, then the 5/8 should be a good choice.
Interesting fact is that your front bar is the same part number as several Corvettes clear back to 1963 including some with special suspension and some big block cars. Must be an ok bar on the front already. If you change out the rubber grommets on the sway bar links to urethane you will get sharper response, especially if the rubber ones are flattened out and well past their life cycle. Same goes for the mountings but be sure to lube them with the manufacturer's recommended lube to prevent squeaking.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I think I will go with the smaller bar. It makes sense for my driving style. I have previously changed all the rubber on the front. Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom