Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 headlight question?

gkurtz

Corvette
92 Bright Red Convertable
Im in the middle of rebuilding my headlight motors and when taking it apart a small silver ball came out. I didnt see where it came from. Thought maybe from behind the motor set screw which I backed out to loosen the worm gear. Thanks

Sorry, I have nothing in my book that details the motor rebuild, so I don't have a schematic to see what it could be, and I have never rebuilt the headlamp motors so I have no personal experience. Others here have rebuilt them though, and I'm sure someone will step forward and clue us in. :CAC

Ken said:
Sorry, I have nothing in my book that details the motor rebuild, so I don't have a schematic to see what it could be, and I have never rebuilt the headlamp motors so I have no personal experience. Others here have rebuilt them though, and I'm sure someone will step forward and clue us in. :CAC
Thank for looking. After carefully looking at the assembly I was right. The ball sit right behind the motor shaft/worm gear. There is a cutout in the shaft end that the ball sits in and is kept in place when contacted by the tensioning screw on the back of the motor. Hope this helps someone else. I coudnt find any threads that addressed this

headlamp motor rebuild

gkurtz said:
Im in the middle of rebuilding my headlight motors and when taking it apart a small silver ball came out. I didnt see where it came from. Thought maybe from behind the motor set screw which I backed out to loosen the worm gear. Thanks

I finally am getting around to fixing my passenger's headlight and traced the problem to the actual motor itself. Turns out the motor was pretty fried. No big deal, I thought. Figured I'd pick one up at autozone and be done in 20 minutes of work. Now that I see that they're nearly impossible to find AND if you can find 'em we're talking HUNDREDS of $- I'm thinking I'll just rebuild them by cleaning it all out and rewinding the wire on the armiture. My only hesitation with this (or plan b of retrofitting a similar size and power 12v motor to the system) is that I had heard that these operate by monitoring amperage to determine the stop postion. This means I'd probably have to do a really good job matching the electrical performance characteristics of the original motor setup. How'd your rebuild go? Any tips for us attempting it for the first time?
Thanks!
-k
ps. Anyone know the AWG of the motor wire on these armatures? Anything on McMaster pg723 look suitable? Thanks again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom