Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4/LS1/ZF6 ?

Probably.

Corvette Fever's latest issue has a project car start on a C4 with a late model motor and other improvements. CF is using a 5.3L truck motor (cheap and cast iron) but it's the same dimensions in every way except in weight. I'm going to follow their progress as I'm interested in how it turns out.

Sounds like a good idea, always pick up CF anyway - wonder why they would go with a truck motor rather than an LS1/LS2?

Sounds like a good idea, always pick up CF anyway - wonder why they would go with a truck motor rather than an LS1/LS2?

The article said "cheap and iron" - they're on a $15,000 budget including the car so the number of modifications are limited. The truck motor is cheap to start with. It's also iron which means it's in the same weight area as the original L98 they're pulling out - so, they will not need to make a lot of suspension changes to lower the nose and balance the car.

I don't I don't post here all that often... sadly, it was the announcement of Ken's passing that got me here.

So...

LSx in a 94. a ton of problems.... lemme count the ways...

1) The 90+ C4s require the CCM. This is what keeps the ABS/ASR (EBCM), the IP, C68 and audio happy. Now, the Audio doesn't really care, and I suspect the C68 doesn't either, but the IP and EBCM does. If you want to keep ABS/ASR, you have to figure out a way to piggyback the existing PCM to run the CCM but let the LSx PCM run the engine.

2) It is not available yet, but I have heard there is an adaptor coming to fit the ZF6 to the LSx.

3) Then there is general fitment. There are adaptors available for the LSx to fit into a conventional SBC engine bay. However, the fitment of the LSx is a bit tight and requires some modification.

4) Iron versions, LQx family, are from trucks. Techincally, this is illegal. The EPA has rules against it, and several states enforce those rules. Think California, New York, et.al.

Ton of problems seem to be the operational word here. Thanks for the specifics.

An aluminum block LS would cause the front end to rise up. The iron block truck engines are very cheap, $1500 vs $3500. Car Craft just did a build with an LQ4 6.0 that they added GMPP L92 heads to(under $900 for the set assembled) to and a fairly mild cam to and ended up with I believe 540hp. I'm also following the CF article because I intend to do this with my 85. You just can't beat the LS for the power it makes with fairly basic mods.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom