Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C4 Performance Mods

vett90

Corvette
1990 C4 Coupe, looking for more.
I have a question regarding a few performance mod's that I'm looking at installing on my 1990 Coupe (L98). I live close to a drag strip and they have Wednesday night drags, which are alot of fun and of coarse I need to go faster.

I'm looking at replacing the stock DANA 36 rear gears with 3.73 and using the DANA 36 housing, I'm also playing with a 100 shot wetr NOS kit, and putting a set of DOT drag slicks on the rims. I'm trying to keep from damaging the Vette as she is in get shape but needs a little more excitment.

Has anyone made similar mod's and do you think this will work, will the 700R4 work with the gear change, how much ET will the mod's take off a 1/4 mile run?

Thank you,

If you're gonna do a hundred shot and drag radials start saving now for a Dana 44 axle and some trans mods.
You'll need them.

I've looked at the DANA 44 which is the best way to go, but then I need to modify the C-channel to except the 44. And I would like to keep it original. Will the DANA 36 hold-up to a few run's every month?

When you want to get your strip tires & wheels....I have 2 ProStar 15" X 15" X5 polished aluminum made for a show car, custom OR a strip car with FAT slicks for the strip.
I'll sell for $200 depth of offset.jpgnext to 5 gal bucket.jpg YES...$ 200 for the pair.

Can't beat this deal. You pay shipping or local pick-up Spring/Houston area. :thumb

Boomdriver,

Thanks for the offer, however I'm thinking a 15" wide tire has a little bit more bite then what I'm looking for. I would be interected in a stock width rim.

If you're gonna do a hundred shot and drag radials start saving now for a Dana 44 axle and some trans mods.
You'll need them.

I agree, and to add to it, running NOS has its risks. Depending on mileage of your L98, you could cause premature wear/tear/carnage. If you do run it, please run a wet setup, your engine will last longer. As the saying goes, "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

What are you running now?

I've looked at the DANA 44 which is the best way to go, but then I need to modify the C-channel to except the 44. And I would like to keep it original. Will the DANA 36 hold-up to a few run's every month?

If you're racing with sticky tires and 3.73s...not for long.

What are you running now?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I also agree with the Dana 44. However I'm tyring to keep things as original as possible without cutting, welding etc., if you know what mean? I also understand the possible carnage with the NOS and Dana 36 rear.

I'm hoping to get down the 1/4 near the low side of 12.00 second. (12.25 sec 1/4) HOPING, probably mid 12.00

My last run this year was:

1/4 mile ET 13.58
Speed 102.??
60 Ft time 2.18

What are the current mods to the car? Those times are not too bad, considering the 60 is not the greatest. Personally, I'd work on getting better at running what you got well. I'd work on the 60' to start.

Your goals are realistic and very doable. I would start saving for a good transmission rebuilt for drag racing in mind, a Dana 44 and associated gear set. I would get your drive line in order first, then think about applying more power. On a L98 running those times WILL require head work, cam, injectors, intake work-bigger TPI setup may not be enough, possible miniram or similar, etc...

You can make a car FAST, RELIABLE, CHEAP, pick two.

I personally don't like to mess with NOS, but with a properly built engine and drive line, and good NOS management (ie. progressive controller) it can be a BIG time power adder. I do not think a basically stock L98 is a good candidate for such a modification.

If you're racing with sticky tires and 3.73s...not for long.
Indeed. Look around here and you'll find the pics of my broken D36, case and all. When it broke, I wasn't even on it real hard so the gears must have cracked earlier. then failed. FWIW, I don't beat my cars, as in sidestepping the clutch.

You're looking at a form of roulette with the stock drivetrain. The old days of overbuilt cars are gone. My experienced rear end guy cryogenically treated this newer D36 and said I could break a D44, too.
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom