Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Fuel leaks

Jim Z06

Corvette
2002 Torch red Z06
My 02 Z06 starting leaking fuel from the top of the right side fuel tank. It took 2 weeks to get new tank and to have dealer correct problem. I called GM Customer Care hoping they would at least cover some of the labor costs. I talked to 3 people at GM (one of them a supervisor) and all 3 just blew me off like leaking fuel is not a concern. I seached complaints about C5 Fuel Leaks on the NHTSA web site (NHTSA.GOV) and found over 100 complaints already filed. Roughly 3/4 were for the 04 models (which GM did have a recall) but there were also 30 or so complaints filed on other year C5's (mostly 01 and 02's). If any one else has had a fuel leak and not filed a complaint please do so at the NHSTA web site. If we get enough complaints filed maybe, just maybe, we can get GM to reimburse the people who were not covered under warranty. Fuel tanks should not to subject to wear and tear, especially with only 19,000 miles.

My 02 Z06 starting leaking fuel from the top of the right side fuel tank. It took 2 weeks to get new tank and to have dealer correct problem. I called GM Customer Care hoping they would at least cover some of the labor costs. I talked to 3 people at GM (one of them a supervisor) and all 3 just blew me off like leaking fuel is not a concern. I seached complaints about C5 Fuel Leaks on the NHTSA web site (NHTSA.GOV) and found over 100 complaints already filed. Roughly 3/4 were for the 04 models (which GM did have a recall) but there were also 30 or so complaints filed on other year C5's (mostly 01 and 02's). If any one else has had a fuel leak and not filed a complaint please do so at the NHSTA web site. If we get enough complaints filed maybe, just maybe, we can get GM to reimburse the people who were not covered under warranty. Fuel tanks should not to subject to wear and tear, especially with only 19,000 miles.
In my experience,Miles isn't the problem,Age,CornCob Fuel,Shrinking Plastic and Rubber is!:thumb
I've never had to replace a tank though,Just loosen reposition and re-tighten the Rubber Coupler at each end of the crossover tube between the tanks! I've repaired several C5 tank leaks,not found a problem that I had to replace a tank yet! (Not saying it don't happen though,I've heard of a couple on 04's that was replaced under warranty!)
Who did your work,Bill Shultz?

Attachments

• IMG_0638 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0638 (Small).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0639 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0639 (Small).JPG
    32 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Yes, Bill Shultz did the work but I ordered the tank online and saved about $300.00 It was definately the tank and not the crossover tube.

Other than the dealer's explanation (remember, the dealer is in business to sell PARTS and service, not just service), where is the evidence that this right side fuel tank was, in fact, defective. Do you have any images of the bad tank?

There was no recall for 2004 Corvette fuel tanks.

There is a special warranty coverage adjustment which does not recall the cars but only extends the warranty on the item in question, in this case to 10-yrs or 100,000 miles. The coverage is very limited in scope and covers only the quick connectors used to link the two tanks, ie: the problem is not the tanks themselves, but the connectors.

If 3/4ths of the 100 complaints were about 04 connectors that leaves 25 of the complaints covering 1997-2003, or .00011 of 214611 cars or .011%...11 thousandths of a percent...hardly a trend indicative of a design or manufacturing problem.

Yes, your car has 19,000 miles but it's also 10 years old.

Your expectations of warranty repair are unreasonable, in my opinion.

Junk has it right as far as how the passage of time, useage of blended fuels, wear-and-tear, rather than just miles driven, can affect such a problem.

Also, I suspect there is just as much a chance that it was a connector or a seal that failed as there is the right side tank actually leaking. But, hey, prove me wrong by posting some images of the bad tank and I'll eat a crow.

Yes, Bill Shultz did the work
Good Choice!:thumb
If it ever gets banged up,Go back in the body shop and tell'em you want that "Old Greasy Biker Dude Jeff" to repair it,He's the BEST St Lucie County has to offer :thumb (Unless I'm down there!:chuckle) ..........Tell Jeff that the "BEST BOSS" he ever had sent you,He'll know who it was!~!!!:L

Also, I suspect there is just as much a chance that it was a connector or a seal that failed as there is the right side tank actually leaking. But, hey, prove me wrong by posting some images of the bad tank and I'll eat a crow.
Careful Hib,You may have to do a "Ozzy Osbourne" and Bite it's head off!~!;LOL;LOL;LOL

I know Bill Shultz personally and he tries to run purdy tight ship,It's the only GM dealer in South Florida I'd trust mine to if I couldn't do it myself!
:thumb:thumb

Last edited:
Other than the dealer's explanation (remember, the dealer is in business to sell PARTS and service, not just service), where is the evidence that this right side fuel tank was, in fact, defective. Do you have any images of the bad tank?

There was no recall for 2004 Corvette fuel tanks.

There is a special warranty coverage adjustment which does not recall the cars but only extends the warranty on the item in question, in this case to 10-yrs or 100,000 miles. The coverage is very limited in scope and covers only the quick connectors used to link the two tanks, ie: the problem is not the tanks themselves, but the connectors.

If 3/4ths of the 100 complaints were about 04 connectors that leaves 25 of the complaints covering 1997-2003, or .00011 of 214611 cars or .011%...11 thousandths of a percent...hardly a trend indicative of a design or manufacturing problem.

Yes, your car has 19,000 miles but it's also 10 years old.
Your expectations of warranty repair are unreasonable, in my opinion.

Junk has it right as far as how the passage of time, useage of blended fuels, wear-and-tear, rather than just miles driven, can affect such a problem.

Hib...I did not take a picture of the tank nor can I find a good picture of a tank to show you guys where is was leaking from.

Fuel tank leaks, 2 DIFFERENT SYSTEMS!

HI there,

If I may, this discussion is covering 2 completely DIFFERENT fuel systems and I believe that this is where the problem lies.

In midproduction 2003, there was a complete fuel system design change, called FFS. From production 111542 in 2003, there was no further usage of the rubber crossover pipe and clamps.

The original poster states the vehicle is a 2002 ZO6, and the special policy that HIB speaks of is for 2004 WITH the FFS fuel system.

In the pics, those had the rubber fuel crossover.

2 different systems with SIMILAR complaints.

These should be understood.

Allthebest, Paul

On a larger ticket item, well at least adding in the labor, doesn't anyone ask to see the old part anymore? With one brand my wife drove the tank strap hanger (band), was a problem, but I'd still have wanted to see a popped seam or split. The biggest reason and especially important with fuel is that you may be installing the same defective design.

HI there,

If I may, this discussion is covering 2 completely DIFFERENT fuel systems and I believe that this is where the problem lies.

In midproduction 2003, there was a complete fuel system design change, called FFS. From production 111542 in 2003, there was no further usage of the rubber crossover pipe and clamps.

The original poster states the vehicle is a 2002 ZO6, and the special policy that HIB speaks of is for 2004 WITH the FFS fuel system.

In the pics, those had the rubber fuel crossover.

2 different systems with SIMILAR complaints.

These should be understood.

Allthebest, Paul

I was aware of what Paul's states about the mid-year change in MY03 to the newer style fuel supply system.

My post to this thread was poorly written. First, I should have more clearly stated that the warranty extension was ONLY for '04s. What I posted created more confusion rather than less. I apologize for that.

I, also, should have phrased my reply to the OP's comment about reimbursement. What I meant to say was that, based on the rarity of the problem, the OP's hope of forcing GM to reimburse people for out-of-warranty repairs to 97 to mid-03 fuel systems was unrealistic.

Last edited:
HI there,

Personally, having serviced both systems, the following is what I have noticed.

FFS fuel systems are very DIFFICULT to work with. The largest reason I see for the cracks in the FFS tanks is the FORCE exerted to seat the 'twistlock' connections at the tanks. The new design tanks did have thicker plastic area thus dont have the problems.

PRE FFS systems are much easier and do not require removal of the driveline to repair them.

Certainly, I agree with the poster above, I WOULD WANT TO SEE the fault, what cracked and be shown how they came to that conclusion.

Pre FFS systems are more a victim of loose clamps, incorrectly seated transfer lines between tanks or leaking fuel sending unit gaskets.

Allthebest, Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom