Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

c5 headlight problem

• Thread starter Thread starter bsouth
  • Start date Start date
B

bsouth

Now I have a new problem with my headlights. Wondering if any one else has had this problem. Both headlights work open fine. But one of them started having a problem when I would turn off the headlights. It would close, but the motor kept running for about 15 sec. and then stop. The light still opens and closes ok, but the motor always runs for about 15 sec. after it closes. Now the other light is doing the same thing. Any ideas of what the problem may be? Thanks

I had a similar problem with one of my headlights. After its went down or up it kept running and made a horrible grinding sound. The motor ended up needing replaced. I was covered by warranty however.

I have a 2000 that I ended up repairing the headlight motors. The drivers side wouldn't go down all the time. I found out that inside the motor assembly is a brass worm gear and a cheap plastic driven gear. The plastic gear was getting chewed up. There is a guy on the internet (Ebay) that sells brass replacement gear for the plastic one for $39.00 a side or $75.00 for both (I might be a couple of dollars off). I rebuilt both of my headlights for $72.00 (before the price increase) a couple of months ago.

I had a problem with being too anxious to try them out and the epoxy wasn't cured. I had to re-epoxy them again. I believe on your 99 you have screws instead of glue holding the components together. Use plenty of alcohol to clean the assembly areas if you have to glue them. They have been working great since. The problem is that there is a lubrication hole in the front of the housing, but nobody knows about it, so the assembly goes dry and the gears wear out.

The estimate to replace these was $80 in labor and $217 for parts for each side and it would be the same cheap plastic gear. I did it in a few hours (over 2 days) for $72 and have brass. I think it was a good decision.

Could you provide more details on this lubrication hole mentioned above. Perhaps a picture or better description. Also what type of lubricant. I'll have to check my service manuals later to see if its mentioned in there.

thanks

Yes, you will need to replace the motor. I had the same problem with my right headlight. The dealer replaced it under warranty.

Had the same problem with the driver side light on my 2001 after 9800 miles and almost no night driving. Dealer replaced under warranty and scratched the fender above the light. Just wonderful. Buy the brass gear and save yourself some aggravation. Besides, replacing it with another plastic gear just sets you up for another visit to the dealer. Makes you wonder how many other times that will break over the cars life time and give Chevy $300 revenue.

MAC5, follow the shaft of the motor with the worm gear (coated with the yellow grease)to where you see the round black plastic part of the housing (a little further to the right in this picure). The worm gear is part of the armerature and isn't supported in the plastic housing at the far right end. Instead of a suporting the worm gear, GM supplied a hole to squirt grease into the plastic housing ending up where you see the grease in this picture. If you're still confused, please let me know. - Ron

Schmaltzr - thanks for the info. Just looked at my 98. I have had one of the assemblies completely changed out under warranty about 18 months ago. The replacement looks exactly like the one in the picture. The original motor assembly doesn't have the opening depicted in the photo. It has a metal plug that screws into the end of that assembly. Looks like I just need to remove that plug and run some lightweight grease up there. On the one in your picture, how do you get the grease in, is there a seal, or is it just open at the bottom? Also, what type grease is recommended?

MAC5 said:
Schmaltzr - thanks for the info. Just looked at my 98. I have had one of the assemblies completely changed out under warranty about 18 months ago. The replacement looks exactly like the one in the picture. The original motor assembly doesn't have the opening depicted in the photo. It has a metal plug that screws into the end of that assembly. Looks like I just need to remove that plug and run some lightweight grease up there. On the one in your picture, how do you get the grease in, is there a seal, or is it just open at the bottom? Also, what type grease is recommended?
I was told that lithium won't fly off the gears as easily....it's more sticky. I got a can of lithium spray grease that had a tube you can attach to it and just stick it in the hole. The hole is open at the bottom and as far as I know on yours should just dump right into the housing. There is a drain hole closer to the bottom. If you put too much spray grease in there at one time, it will drip out, so you really can't over fill it. If you want to use bearing grease like what was originally in there, then I would just find some kind of narrow fitting to put on the end of the grease gun. Another type of grease you could buy would be in a toothpaste tube like container, I've seen grease sold in that form too. It still may require a small plastic hose to get in there though. - Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom