Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Speedster Conversion - anyone done?

Mr. Lucky

Corvette
2004 MY stroker Coupe
I would also like to see pictures, both with the top on and off.

did you ask them, they are the ones selling it, it looks like an imitation roll bar with included window, prolly have to paint it also.

It appears to be a coupe conversion... not done on a convertible. Very nice.

One of the members recently posted pictures of a C4 for sale with a similar treatment. I could not find the thread.

I have not seen any of these modifications on the highway, but I think I prefer the original CR lines. I drive a 2000 Pewter convertible and I think it looks just great. Don't want to get that involved in complex modifications, either. They always seem to lead to troubles.

Speedster

I really like the look of the speedster - so I did some research.

To begin with $995 sounds pretty inexpensive. I guess there is a reason.

The installation instructions are skimpy, the pictures are uninformative. You need to install your own hardware - they want you to use the hardware on the existing hatch - which makes it difficult to change back and forth. The fitment between the waterfall and the hatch is obviously not well planned since you are instructed to grind to obtain a 1/8" clearance. There is no apparent provision for a gas strut to hold the hatch open either. They just tell you how to remove the existing struts.

The one thing that was - for me - a deal breaker was the rear window. It is installed with velcro and a couple of J bolts. There are a lot of better ways to do this and for not a lot of money either, but it would require that the opening be engineered that way.

So I'm gonna pass.

Maybe in the future they will refine the product or somebody will come up with something better.

Speedster

crooze said:
Maybe in the future they will refine the product or somebody will come up with something better.

Hope so. It is a good idea, I believe. It would be nice if you could witch back and forth.

Modifications are like tatoo's man just one and you get addicted to them and by the time your done you have no money to pay for gas.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom