Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Top retainer adjustments?

CeeFive

Corvette
2008 VR ZO6
Does anyone know how to tighten up the retainers that hold the coupe top in place in the interior rear compartment? Mine rattles while hitting bumps and you can actually pull it out from the bottom without unclipping the two locks by just lifting up a little, which makes me a little nervous. Hate to have that thing flying around. Thanks.

Here you go:

Roof Adjustment
I looked up your problem in my '99 shop manual which describes the following adjustments:
Adjust rear striker to ensure locator pins are fully seated.
Coarse ajustment - loosen rear striker bolts and move striker forward.
Fine Adjustment - loosen set screw and turn hook 1 turn at a time.
Front Striker
Coarse adjustment - loosen striker mounting bolts and reposition up or down
Fine adjustment - loosen striker outboard bolt, slightly loosen inboard bolt and pivot striker bracket up or down on inboard bolt.

Good luck!

Window Adjustment
Blackbelt, if thr top of your window doesn't contact the weatherstrip, you need to adjust the window "tip-in".

Tools: #6 inverted Torx Socket
-Raise the window to the top
-Remove the large access plug under of front of the door.
-Loosen the window regulator front channel mounting nut
-Remove the reflector lens from the trim panel
-Loosen the jack screw jam nut
-Turn the jack screw CCW to tip the window inward (1 turn = 0.04 inches at the top of the window)
-Tighten the jack screw jam nut
-Lower the window
-Tighten the window regulator channel front mounting nut

The above is on page 8-1189 of the GM service manual if you can get one.

Thankls alot for the info. I will go down and try it today. I was trying to avoid a trip to the dealer who could possibly make things worse.

vetu4ya said:
Roof Adjustment
Adjust rear striker to ensure locator pins are fully seated.
Coarse ajustment - loosen rear striker bolts and move striker forward.
Fine Adjustment - loosen set screw and turn hook 1 turn at a time.
Front Striker
Coarse adjustment - loosen striker mounting bolts and reposition up or down
Fine adjustment - loosen striker outboard bolt, slightly loosen inboard bolt and pivot striker bracket up or down on inboard bolt.
The above is on page 8-1189 of the GM service manual if you can get one.

Hey vetu4ya--

I'm having a roof rattling issue myself (seems to be toward the center of the leading roof edge), and wondered if you could elaborate on a couple of items in the post of yours from several weeks back. I'm trying to buy a set of manuals on eBay, but I guess I'm too cheap-- I keep getting outbid!

Anyway, can you explain to me what the "strikers" are? I'm not sure which parts those are exactly. Also, it seems that these instructions might be for roof adjustment while installed, not stored in the rear compartment (as the original poster seemed to be asking). Is this correct? Hope so-- that's what I need! I'm assuming the locator pins are the two pieces that protrude from the trailing edge of the roof on either side... If not, please fill me in.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me!
Fred

glad to see this posted

Not glad to hear you're having troubles, but it's good to find out when someone else has the same problem as you do. I just got my vette last Sunday, and I noticed the rattle also. I thought I was being picky, I guess not. I'm still under the original 36k warranty which DOES cover rattles and squeaks, according to the service department.

It sounds like the fix is straight forward, and I will have the dealer give it a go.

C5 Top Rattle

Thank you so much! Being a female, I cringe at the thought of taking the car to one of our local Chevrolet dealers, especially since I didn't buy it from one of them but from a dealer in Sierra Vista Az. Will try this! Thanx again! Sarah

You are correct, the adjustment referenced is not while stored. I should have read the post most thoroughly. Anyways, the front striker is above the windshield, behind the sun shade (rectangular bracket held on with 2 bolts). I can't find an adjustment for the roof panel, while stored. Other than the the (egg shaped) forward stowage brackets not being properly installed, or the 2 spring loaded rear latches not mating properly with the roof panel, I'm at a loss.

I have had allot of problems with my top, the dealer had to fix both leaks and rattle problems, now after I washed and waxed my car I noticed they must have put hair scratches all over my top!! they are going to try to buff them out, I do not think this is possible , has anyone tried to buff out scratches on ther top? I am going to insist on replacing the top.

top scratches

tonyrugg said:
I have had allot of problems with my top, the dealer had to fix both leaks and rattle problems, now after I washed and waxed my car I noticed they must have put hair scratches all over my top!! they are going to try to buff them out, I do not think this is possible , has anyone tried to buff out scratches on ther top? I am going to insist on replacing the top.

they make several products that are intended to take the scratches out of plastic motorcycle fairings....check with one of your local m.c shops and see what they recommend...I'd rather do it myself that to trust the dealer...but then again, if they are going to replace it if they are not successfull....why not have them try........

they replaced it with a new one, its perfect again

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom