Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 convertible frame question

fvette05

Corvette
05 LMB vert, 6-speed
OK experts, how exactly, is a C6 frame built differently than the coupe? Where is it different, re-inforced, etc. Does anyone have an illustration or photo of the C6 convertible frame?
:confused

vbpgimage.php

HI there,
There is no special reinforcements on the convertible over the coupe.
They simply edit the roof bar from assembly and then add the top.
Frame rails, pillars and associated components are pretty much identical.
Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks...I know someone doing a conversion of a 08 vert to a Z06 body and the question came up...could the convertible frame handle the added torque of the larger Z06 engine, assuming the drive train could handle it. Based on what you're saying, I'd have to assume it could handle it pretty easily. Thoughts? :upthumbs

Other than the lack of the halo bar, the convertible structure on C5 and C6 is not significantly different than the targa/hardtop structure.

As to the idea that the convertible structure could not handle the added torque of the "larger" Z06 engine is rediculous. It can handle the extra torque but what the convertible structure cannot do is provide as stiff a platform for the ultimate in handing performance as can the structure used for the targa and the hardtop.

Other than the lack of the halo bar, the convertible structure on C5 and C6 is not significantly different than the targa/hardtop structure.

As to the idea that the convertible structure could not handle the added torque of the "larger" Z06 engine is rediculous. It can handle the extra torque but what the convertible structure cannot do is provide as stiff a platform for the ultimate in handing performance as can the structure used for the targa and the hardtop.

Hib: So what is the reason that the General does not sell the Z06 engine option in a convertible? I can appreciate the point about the coupe's additional structural stiffness providing better handling in competitive style driving. But my guess is that there are quite a few potential buyers who only drive their cars for recreation (never compete), who want a convertible and who would like the power of the 7 liter engine... just to know it is there, so to speak. Is it that the General is worried about potential safety issues (i.e. rollovers) or is it simply that they feel they can sell all they want as coupes? :)

Actually the Z06 hard top does have a steel reinforcement that runs around the back of the top up the back and above the door glass and up to the windshield posts besides the halo bar across the back like a Targa coupe!! The Z06 top is glued and bolted to the car!! I found this out when I replaced the Lt Quarter panel on my 01 Z06!! There are 2 screws that can not be removed without cutting 2 holes in the top, or raising the top up and removing them!! I chose to lift the top rather than cut 2 holes in it!!
The reinforcements in the top,and top itself does substantially stiffen the chassis of a FRC or Z06 over a Convertible or Targa Coupe!!!:upthumbs

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am just pondering what the future of the Corvette convertible is with all the additional power being thrown out there. I would hate to see the Z06 and new ZR-1 be coupe-only models forever. We convertible lovers want in on the action too, especially since we consistently pay a premium price!;)

Hold on a second.
Now we are talking about Z vs coupe, vs convertible.
Coupe, against convertible was the original question, with Z being a different animal as far as roof bracing.
C5 vs C6 are different in that area as well.
Lets NOT confuse the issue, by widening the parameters of the original question.
Allthebest, c4c5

;)
OK ya caught me. Let me ask a different question. The coupe and the Z of course, are not the same. I guess the question ultimately is...can the convertible frame handle the Z's power and still be as (or close to as)solid on the track? If not, why not? A 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider makes 490 hp just like the coupe. And what is the future for the factory vert if we get into the 600+ realm?
:confused

HI there,
Well honestly, if Callaway is any indication, the convertible can handle it. While I have no concrete data, they are pushing 550 in the convertibles right now.
Now, just remember, the horsepower ratings are not really the issue, it is the TORQUE that the engines develop.
Body design and frame development are different as well between F430 and Corvette.
Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom