Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 observations.

Dad

Corvette
15Gray/8sp 72Blk/Blk4Spd 64Red/Red/Wht4spd
Is it just me or do any of you coupe owners think there is less rear vision out the rear view mirror of the C6 than there was in the C5??

The thing I thought I would like the least turns out to be the best every headlights. Next best improvement is the brakes on the Z51 package.

This thing should have radar, it flies.

Dad, didn't realize you were getting a C6. Is there a previous post by you with C5/C6 comparisons and driving impressions? I'd be interested in any thoughts you had. I have no doubt that this car will completely outdrive the base C5 with the exception of the Z06.

Congrats on the purchase.

Leon

Old post on C5/C6 opinions

Gorgon said:
Dad, didn't realize you were getting a C6. Is there a previous post by you with C5/C6 comparisons and driving impressions? I'd be interested in any thoughts you had. I have no doubt that this car will completely outdrive the base C5 with the exception of the Z06.

Congrats on the purchase.

Leon

I had said before that it shouldn't be a C6, maybe a C5.1 and that was based on what I knew before they came out. Now that I've put 500 miles on one and can kick it a little maybe it can be called a C5.2. When the C5 came out there was no question that it corrected the down side of the C4. This is by far the best yet just not the kind of improvement that there was between the C4 and the C5. Both of the C5s that I had made the C4 an easy car to get rid of, not that much difference between the C6 and those C5s. Ride, sound level, build quality, material quality, fit and finish, and some features are about the same. Power is about the same as the C5 in the Z06 and could have been available 5 years ago, 6 speed is a little quieter right now, not like they would have any problems with them though, right? Big improvement in the Z51 package that includes the right tires and brakes, it is their bright star in the new design along with the functionality of the headlights. All the rest is warmed over or restyled C5, with the addition of the electronic toys. I didn't get the Magnaslide because of the sour taste the C4's system left with me.

My opinion comes from owning Corvettes since 1956, and includes my first new car/Corvette 1957, then a '58. '59, '61, '63, '64, '72, '92, '98, '04 and now the '05. If I could have any of them back it would be the '61 and the '98, of course I'll hang on to the '72.

No big deal, just enjoy your Corvette and drive the one that makes you feel good.

Wow! Quite a few Vettes that you have owned over the years. I would say that you fall under the category of "enthusiast". ;) Good luck with the '05!

I just got back from visiting a Precision Red Z51 6 speed coupe in Woonsocket R.I......Extremely beautiful Vette with great changes made But I would call it a C5.5.......Simon Chevrolet was asking 4 grand over sticker but it's still sitting there.......Pictures do not do justice for the C6,I can't wait to see the convertible.

My question for any owners of the C6 is how do you really feel about all the electrical stuff, push button start,the doors and so forth, I was at the dealership looking a one and the battery was low and after awhile the doors would not open and one of the sales mangaers got locked in the car because he didn't know about the latch on the floor which was halarious to me.Did the manual inform you of anything in the flob that would give warning that the battery is getting low becuase that is my biggest fear that you are out somwhere and the flob goes dead and you are not able to start the car. I know on star is avalible and all that and I also know that even with a key your car could go dead but it just seems there should be a back up way to start the car. Nevertheless the more I look at it the more I like it. Still trying to deside if I should upgrade to a 04 C5 while they are giving them away right now or wait a year for them to work out any kinks and get the C6.

Hi DAd

David,

I was suprised when Craig told me you got a C6. He said you were hard to track down lately since you are out learning to drive a stick again. :L

BTW I'm on vacation for the rest of this week if you want to stop over so I can validate your opinions of the C6. :D

Tom

Picked up my DSOM coupe on THUR. You bet there's less viewing space in the rear! It was the first thing I noticed. Say about 25-30% less. And i noticed a little distortion in the rear window. Otherwise the car is great!

It went past your house yesterday about 5:00, what did you think?

Lil'RED,

If the fob battery goes dead you can insert it in a receptacle in the compartment and start and drive the car. You also get a battery low warning in the DIC long before it goes dead.

Dad said:
Why didn't you stop. I was ready for a break.

Tom

Tom Bryant said:
Why didn't you stop. I was ready for a break.

Tom
I had just worked a day and a half checking out the wiring for a dead short and 2 dead window motors in a Blazer. I was ready to get it back to its owner, get the driver back home and get something to eat and clean the shop.

Been shifting Corvettes since 1956 and have two stick shifts besides the C6 so the learning curve may be more flat than you would think.

Not quite sure what you mean by validating my opinions. Is that something you need or something you think I need? :confused :w

Dad said:

Not quite sure what you mean by validating my opinions. Is that something you need or something you think I need? :confused :w
I was just hoping for some seat time. :D

Dad said:

Lil'RED,

If the fob battery goes dead you can insert it in a receptacle in the compartment and start and drive the car. You also get a battery low warning in the DIC long before it goes dead.
Dad that's the info that I was looking for thanks that really might sway me into a C6. My next question is what compartment are you referring to? and exactly how do you insert it I mean is it just sitting in there or do you have to connect it in some sort of fashion?

If fob voltage is low you are to insert fob in slot in glove box to get car to start. dont know what min fob voltage is but that is what the directions say.........

sheck11 said:
If fob voltage is low you are to insert fob in slot in glove box to get car to start. dont know what min fob voltage is but that is what the directions say.........
Ditto....I checked mine the other day. Th key fob has a small indentation on the back side. That indentation is what holds it in place in the receptacle in the glove box.

Yes, the rear vision is reduced. Makes backing up difficult.

Lil' Red said:
My question for any owners of the C6 is how do you really feel about all the electrical stuff, push button start,the doors and so forth . . .
I love the electrical stuff. The push button start is great. I drove my wife's car the other day and had to stop and think - "Oh, yeah. You've got to use a key to start this thing." I also love the push button doors. Great touch, and very convenient.

When I picked up my car the dealer showed me how to get into the car if the FOB battery was dead, how to manually open the doors, start the car, etc. It's really no big deal - very straightforward. Getting into the car manually if your FOB fails is really no more difficult than getting into any car with a key. Opening the doors in case of power failure is simple and really no more complicated than manually opening the door of any car.

I also like the touch-screen stereo and navigation system. The system has a lot of great features, and is very easy to use.

I like technology, and I think the electrical stuff in the new Corvette adds up to a great enhancement in a really fun car to drive.

I drove Dad's C-6 coupe today . He called me this morning and offered to meet me for a ride along and test drive . I was all over that ! The very first thing I noticed was that it was a whole lot easier to get into . With a little messing with the seat buttons , I was even able to get comfortable . I should say , for those of you who haven't seen me , that I'm over six foot five and weigh over 300 pounds . So getting comfortable in a car that size is impressive . While he drove I was looking around and feeling this material and , checking out the interior in detail . I think they dressed it up just the right amount . After all , it's not a Cadillac . I also liked the new material / grain pattern of the dash , windshield trim and so forth . After a while , he pulled over and let me drive . He shut everything down so I would get the whole experience . I climbed in the drivers side , which was also easier to get into that the C-5 . Made the seat fit like a glove (tight glove) and pushed the starter button . She came to life and I started down the road . I have to agree with Dad that the difference between the ride and drivability between the C5 and the C6 is much less than between the C4 and C5 . But then the C5's ride and drive like a dream . The C4's rode and drove like the racecars they were designed to be . As for the reduced vision out the back , well , yes . It is reduced . But I didn't find that to be a fault at all . Just a trait of the design . It has better visibility than my "barndoor" Tahoe . I "accidentially " missed the turn to get back to my truck and had to go a few miles farther to find a place to turn around . Can't turn around a nice car like that just anywhere , right ? I've said it before and I'll say it again . Chevrolet did one hell of a fine job on the C6 or C5.1 or what ever you want to call it . Thanks again , Dad .:D Cliff

Next. Pleeeeese. ;worship

Tom Bryant said:
Next. Pleeeeese. ;worship
Hey, it was a booze run to the out of state liquor store. Bought twice as much since I knew Cliff was going to drive. Not sure I’m going to be over that way for awhile Tom, tomorrow is the last day I’ll be free until I get back from South Carolina. I’m going to make two runs down to my son’s in the next 3 weeks. Haven’t held my new granddaughter yet. We’ll hook up some Monday and as you know I don’t put it away during the winter, more driving excitement that way.

Dad said:
Bought twice as much since I knew Cliff was going to drive.
;LOL

I hope you have a nice trip and congrats on the new grandaughter.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom