Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6/Z06 Dyno Results From Carlisle

J

Jim M

First of all, I'd like to say hello to everyone on this forum, I just joined yesterday and look forward to participating. I've been anxious to respond to the thread discussing the dyno results of Lance Miller's C6 and the Z06 which was dyno'd just prior to it at Carlisle. You see, the Z06 being discussed in that thread is mine and I wanted to set the record straight. My car is a 2004 Machine Silver Z06, which dyno'd 360.5 rwhp and 347.4 rwtq at Carlisle. A couple folks, Leon and Hib Halverson, (enjoy your articles Hib) questioned whether my car was totally stock or not. The car was stone stock, just like it left the assembly line, when it was dyno'd. No internal mods or bolt-ons of any kind, period. Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about people questioning how stock it was, I might question it to if it wasn't my car. A number of folks looked under the hood, to verify there were no bolt-ons or obvious changes. I can't prove it was stock, so I hope everyone will take my word for it. When the car was dyno'd it had about 2,300 miles on it and the only thing I had done to it is change the oil and filter, transmission fluid, and rear diff lube at 2,000 miles. Some might think it's not necessary, but I felt better changing these fluids.

Anyhow, I was extremely pleased with my car's dyno results. Based on other dyno reports of stock Z06s, I was hoping for at least 355 rwhp. Seems like most dyno between 350 and 360 rwhp. By the way, the 2004 Z06 which was tested by GM High-Tech Performance Magazine which made a high 11 second and quite a few low 12 second quarter mile passes dyno'd 363.6 rwhp and 353.2 rwtq, both figures higher than mine. This car was also Machine Silver, maybe it's the color (ha ha).

Jim M

Jim,

Welcome to the Forum.

To me, as long as your car pleases you, then it's okay. You don't have to justify yourself to anyone if it was stock or what. Keep driving and enjoying that magnificent machine of yours. :upthumbs

Edmond,

Thanks for the welcome and kind words. The only reason I replied to the thread was because I wanted everyone to know the car was stock and I was pleased with the dyno results. Actually, it was interesting to see how the Z would compare with a new C6 on the dyno. The C6 only had 12 or 15 miles on it when it was dyno'd, so I would expect some power gains when more miles are put on it. Of course when Callaway is done with it, I'm sure it will put down some awesome numbers.

Jim

Jim M said:
(snip)
My car is a 2004 Machine Silver Z06, which dyno'd 360.5 rwhp and 347.4 rwtq at Carlisle. A couple folks, Leon and Hib Halverson, (enjoy your articles Hib) questioned whether my car was totally stock or not.
(snip)
By the way, the 2004 Z06 which was tested by GM High-Tech Performance Magazine which made a high 11 second and quite a few low 12 second quarter mile passes dyno'd 363.6 rwhp and 353.2 rwtq, both figures higher than mine.
Jim M

I don't remember the exchange cited above but since it happened (last week, in fact), I personally dyno-tested (on a SuperFlow Auto-Dyn) a stock, 04 Z06 and saw numbers right in that area.

I apologize for doubting your test numbers.

Appearently, many later Z06es have very strong LS6es because, figuring .85 for parasitic loss, if you're in the 360-365 hp at the wheels range, you're engine is at 424-429hp. Your tests, my tests and those of others seem to support that idea.

Jim, welcome to the CAC. I'm sure you can understand the doubt when you start doing the math. If the car is bone stock and putting out those numbers I'm happy for you. We all dream of getting a car on the high end of the HP distribution curve, right? :) Harkens back to the day of the under rated LT4.

Perhaps I need to look for an '04 Z06 instead of waiting for the C6... ;)

Leon

Hib and Leon,

Thanks for your replies. Like I said before, I wasn't upset folks would question whether the car was stock or not, I would probably do the same. I'm glad Hib's tests and others are similiar to mine, sort of validates my results. All the stock 2004 Z06 dyno results I've seen (on Dynojets) ranged from 358-363 rwhp, so I think this is what any 2004 Z owner could expect. They are definitely strong motors and slightly under rated. Leon, I debated whether to get the 2004 Z06 or wait for the C6. Because of the great deal on the 2004 Z06 and anticipated teething problems with the new C6, I chose the 2004 Z06. I have to say I'm really happy with the car, and it was the right choice for me. Now when the C6 Z06 comes out, I might wish I would have waited. C5 or C6, you can't go wrong.

Jim M

If the later Z06's are putting out more power, would it be possible for the collector edition Z06 to put out even more power along with the revised suspension?

Edmond,

The engines and suspension parts for all 2004 Z06s, regular and Z16 Commemorative, are the same. The carbon fiber hood (saves 10 lbs.), LeMans blue paint, exterior striping, polished wheels, and special interior and exterior badging are unique to the Commemorative edition.

Jim M

Jim M said:
Edmond,

The engines and suspension parts for all 2004 Z06s, regular and Z16 Commemorative, are the same. The carbon fiber hood (saves 10 lbs.), LeMans blue paint, exterior striping, polished wheels, and special interior and exterior badging are unique to the Commemorative edition.

Jim M

Do you think it would be possible that they used that carbon fiber in a small quantity as a test tool for future use on the higher performance C6 version of the Z06?

Jim,

See, I had the story right. I said you were quite pleased.

Andy,

You hit the nail on the head, I was definitely pleased with the results. By the way, those are some great numbers you posted with your 93. Always have liked the LT1/LT4.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom