Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CA Corvetters...the State wants your car!

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
The environmental jihadists are at it again...trying to force your older Corvette off the road.

Last year, right after the modification of SB708 to eliminate repeal of the 30-year rolling exemption to the Smog Check and that bill's signing by then-Gov. Davis, many people who watch environmental legislation as it applies to car enthusiasts, predicted that the liberal environmentalists who control the California legislature and various administrative bodies, such as the California Air Resources Board, would not give up. They were right!

A recent public meeting held by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) revealed many proposals which will have direct, negative impact on owners of older Corvettes and other enthusiast cars along with vehicles owned by lower income persons. The proposals will focus significant regulatory attention on emissions reductions from older vehicles.

The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) maintains that such proposals are based upon a flawed computer model, erroneous assumptions and the use of biased data that is unfairly and illogically skewed by the emissions of a small number of vehicles in any model year.

Now...are you sitting down? If not, do that first.

The measures the CARB and the CA legislature want to become law include stricter standards for the Smog Check emissions-testing program. This means that not only will your 60s or early 70s Corvette have to be tested to verify it meets emissions standards, but your car may have to meet a standard more stringent than the one it had to meet when they it manufactured. Also, get ready for a new round of requirements forcing you to install "retrofit devices." Don't know what a "retrofit device" is? Well, remember back in the mid-70s? California tried to force retrofit of emissions devices to older vehicles not originally equipped with them? The program was a failure and it will be a failure again if CARB tries to implement it.

These stricter standards will apply to newer vehicles as well. Expect stricter standards for just about anything older than five model years. CARB wants to do this because it will increase the amount of older vehicles forced off the road without making CARB and the CA legislature address the controversial political issues of mandatory scrappage (ie: confiscation) of vehicles which are not considered by most California voters to be "old cars."

But wait....there's more. CARB wants an expansion of the "enhanced Smog Check" program to include more areas and to new vehicle types, such as diesels and all-wheel drive cars and trucks. It wants annual (versus the, current, every two years) testing of vehicles more than 15 years old (*that means everything older than 1989*). CARB wants the use of roadside remote-sensing devices, vastly expanded vehicle-scrappage programs and last, but certainly not least, our friends at CARB once again want to eliminate the 30-model-year rolling exemption from the Smog Check which is currently allowed for cars built prior to the 1975 model year.

SEMA presented formal comments which described the inherent flaws in these proposals and offered alternatives which would yield real, verifiable and cost-effective emissions reductions without causing unnecessary harm to vehicle hobbyists and low-income motorists.

At this point, it is unknown how SEMA's comments were taken by the CARB. I'm sure we'll hear more about this issue as 2004 goes on, but...mark my words....if even half of these proposals end up as law, some of those owning older Corvettes in California are going to be either be scrapping them, selling them out of state or donating them to museums and any of those choices are the objective of CARB and the environmentalists who control state government. Don't kid yourself, these people hate cars. They believe significant political capital will come the more of these regulations can be put in place. They believe continued and increasing regulation of motor vehicle emissions is easier to accomplish politically than regulation of industrial, utility or other non-vehicular sources of emissions.

Now some might say that the recent election of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger will prevent this type of regulation getting very far. I say...don't be too complacent. Schwarzenegger is a fiscal conservative but a social and environmental moderate. He needs a ton of bargaining capital to trade with the liberal-controlled legislature if he wants to further his fiscal agenda. My guess is, those of these proposals which will not cost the state a great deal to put in place will be supported by Schwarzenegger so....if you don't like the idea of this significant change to California exhaust emissions law as it applies to older vehicles, NOW is the time to start writing the CARB, your state legislators and the Governor.

Lastly, those reading this outside California might be saying, "Oh this is just another one of Halverson's right-wing, alarmist posts about the Smog Check." Well...keep in mind that when it comes to motor vehicle emissions regulation which affects car enthusiasts, California sets the pace. Take a look at how many other states now test the emissions of older vehicles in the same manner as does CA? Take a look at how many other states want old cars off the road, as does CA.

The land of fruit and NUTS! This sort of crap will decrese the value of CA vettes. I know I won't look at one that has been smog retrofitted. Tell them to blow it out of their exhaust!!

I do agree with you, these people who work for the state CARB and the EPA really do hate cars and they figure that the older vehicles are a untapped source of revenue thats why they know we will pay the price to keep our pride and joys on the road. Being a Fleet Garage Subforeman for the biggest utility company here in Calif its really not about clean air but how much money the state can generate from the consumer or from any fleet company that has over five vehicles in their fleet. Its just an excuse using the clean air act to legaly rob us If all the emmissions out of the tail pipes were zero, trust me, the state EPA and CARB would find another new kind of test to throw on our cars to again force us to dig into our pocket books and extract our hard earned dollars in the name of clean air !!!!!!!!!

As usual it boils down to money and politics --- again. It is unfortunate they we have to fall prey to someone's or some group's special agenda. It sounds to be a money issue and what better way to get attention and get money -- cite the enviroment. Hopefully Arnold will see the stupidity in this current fiasco. The amount of vintage vehicles on the road is in no way harming the enviroment. We are just another untapped source of funds. By the way, out here in the Northeast, that gobal warming scare does't seem to be happening. Another special group agenda scam. The enviroment is an important concern but it should not be used or abused everytime some group needs money. Good luck and keep us informed. Steve

This gripes my ass.Ok,listen to this cenario.What if,I said if you were a one car man since day one.You buy a new car,any car,in the 60s.You drive that car all of your life.Once the car is paid for you should only have to spend money on routine maintenance.Now your a little old man/lady and the government wants you to pay for retro fitting your car with items to meet their new laws.Oh yeah and btw they are also paying you peanuts for social security.How do they expect the seniors to do this .:mad

What can we do to fight this? Who can we write and do we have a persons name to write too?
I don't want to wait around and have this happen without a fight, DO YOU?

I have seen standard letters written for just this sort of thing, maybe we can all send an E-mail with the same objection.

From what I understand there are an insane number of car enthusiasts in CA. CAC is a pretty well known community and site so why not use the CAC's clout to get together some other automotive groups? I think that if several thousand classic autos parked on the governor's lawn they'd sort of have to listen. I mean moving protestors with lexan sheilds is one thing. Lets see you do that with a two ton peice of steel. Mwhaha. I mean, I suppose something like that should only become an option if things get really nasty. I'd be willing to roadtrip to California to make sure classics stayed street legal here in NC.

Hi Hib,

Thanks for the heads up. Myself and many other gun owners have been dealing with the left wing legislature & liberal wackos of California since I moved here in 89. Off road sports too. Seems some people just can't bear it when others are having a good time or don't cave in to their social/economical/environmental agenda.

I belong to a couple of associations that have political action committees. The aftermarket has SEMA (I love their trade shows). Why don't you/we/the forum look into forming a PAC.

I'll throw in some $$$ and I bet others will too. Or people can donate some time or whatever. It could be more than Corvettes too. Strength in numbers & all that.

There's programs like the NRA "round up" program. When you buy ammo/accessories etc. from participating vendors, the vendors ask you if you want to "round up" to the next dollar. That amount goes to the political action committee.

We need someone who has a little political savvy to get the ball rolling. Any takers?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom