Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway #37 Plays Hard on it's 1st Autocross

EricVonHa

Corvette
'93 6-Speed & '87 Callaway
This past Sunday I took my Callaway to an Autocross. I've participated with this group for the last three years and unfortunately my other toy has been in a state of disrepair for quite some time... soo.. after having withdrawl of missing the first two events of the season, I decided to take the Callaway to this event.

It was a great time and generated a lot of interest for the twin turbo era. I lost count of the number of people that stated that they had never seen a Callaway in person (some asked what is was!) and were curious what it's capabilities were. Most people were amazed at the shape of the aerobody and how it seemed to take seconds off of my times :)

Well guys, I did us proud! I took second place in my class of about 6 cars and finished ~5th overall for the day out of 40 or so drivers. A n.a. Porsche 911 beat me out in my class!

If I were to do it again I seriously would have to hone my technique further in order to aim for the fastest time of the day. Let me tell you.. with this type of machine-- that goal is not out of reach. This was the 1st time I drove this car competitively and it was very predictable and concise. The technique that I would change is "power on passing apex". With my '93 Vette the torque is right there under your foot. Standing on the gas pedal gives a predictable result with a n.a. car in being able to power out of turns. With the Callaway there is a slight lag, then tire haze as the boost blows away the tires. As a result, I found myself not taking enough speed through most of the turns thinking that I could power out of them like I could in my '93. Not the case! Also, modulating the power under boost is another skill that needs some work. At least once during every run I found myself being either hesitant to fully stand on the gas or staying in it too long and hazing the tires... the spectators loved the latter :)

When I returned from my run there was one guy that mentioned that the car sounded as if it were jet propelled. He wasn't too far off!

I would hope to do it again with this car but the wear and tear is a little much. I run Hoosier racing slicks and the amount of stones that get tossed into the delicate aerobody is too much to risk. If I were a waxer turned wannabe racer I would apply multiple layers of "Racer's Tape".. but I always thought that stuff made more of a statement about not really wanting to race than actually doing it.

Here's a link for the results. Go down to the "ASP" class to see the '87 Vette:

http://www.nerdsracing.com/images/BMC_06_08_03.htm

Eric - Good deal :beer Magic Dragon - aka Turbo Joe was tops in the local autocross & road racing - I think he snuck into stock classes then blew everyones doors off :eek

Wait till you get your wider tires on there :D

I dont' know anything about autox......

Can you not compete in the stock class in a b2k??? It is after all a factory optioned car.

Sounds like you had a blast...nice work :beer:

Chris tells a tall tale. I would NEVER -sneak- into a class of lesser competition when I can smoke higher horsepower cars. I speak of the Northern Virginia Corvette Club's annual Autocrosse event "The Spooktacular". Which is a NCCC high speed and low speed event. (This year I believe it's high speed only.) The class I was running had the ZR-1's in it running on street tires. They never knew what hit them. In fact some of the ZR-1 folks were complaining that they shouldn't be grouped with a "Super Charged Vette" after some of the heats. I made sure they were painfully aware that at a minimum they had a "rated" 30 horsepower advantage on my '87 TT and told them they needed some diet shampoo (for their big heads). All joking aside that weekend was alot of fun. Winning every heat tends to keep you smiling :_rock . I hope some of you can come out so I can have some real competition. hehehe:D Keep in mind you need to pre-register and have a current NCCC high speed license. Check here for details. NVCC BTW, I also beat one of the ZR-1 guy's in a Concours Show, I think he hates me. I hope everyone is doing well! - Joe

Unfair Advantage

Eric,

Great showing of power and handling. With the low times of some of the small cars, it seems like the course must have been pretty twisty and not well suited to the higher power cars, too. That makes your times more impressive.

What kind of mods (if any) do you have to your suspension? Or was it all just due to good driving?

No doubt the aerobody gave you an unfair advantage... Thanks for the post.

Steve

SurfnSun said:
I dont' know anything about autox......

Can you not compete in the stock class in a b2k??? It is after all a factory optioned car.

Sounds like you had a blast...nice work :beer:

Thanks for the comments guys! The SCCA has a special designation for the Callaway.. in the "Stock" class it says something to the effect of "Except Callaway"... :) in other words.. go play with some modified cars in their category.

That's ok, because just as Joe (magic dragon) mentioned.. go ahead and put us in a modified class and raise the bar a little-- for the "modified" guys. I was placed into the "ASP" which means A-Street Prepared. It's the quickest modified class (B,C,D street prepared are typically lower powered cars) that allows some motor and suspension changes without changing the overall body or suspension geometry of the car. I think you're even allowed to put on larger brakes in the Street Prepared classes.

Steve- to answer your question this is a "stock" twin turbo car with the stock GM Z-51 suspension and stock GM issue brakes with pads from 1987!. The only mods that have been done to this car were performed by Callaway and they have only done various "updates". (newer turbos, h.d. cooling, etc)

The course was what I'd consider to be a medium length course at just under a minute duration with no real favoritism towards the imports or heavy hitting rwd machinery. There was one slalom, one "cone in the box" (you almost had to come to a complete stop to get through this) and there also two flat out full throttle straights.. unfortunately, by the time the boost came on it was time to shut it down! The whole course was basically a second gear experience. Definitely a blast!

Man that sounds like a BLAST!!

Take those cats off to build that boost faster ;) shhhhhh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom