Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway C6 questions

OctoDiddy

Corvette
2007 c6 manual
I'm considering the decision of purchasing a z06 new-or-used versus getting a Callaway package on a C6-manual coupe, or.... whether it would be a better choice to spend a bit more and try to find a very low mileage 2008 Viper which has 600 hp. I have a 2007 c6 3LT manual-6, so I would be doing a trade-in if I don't do a Callaway package on my 2007.

One of my main considerations is the WARRANTY factor. Callaway's is 3/36 right? So, that is the coverage I would be left with because I would void the inherent 5/100 warranty on my c6 when/if the Callaway package is added to my Vette and switch over to their 3/36 warranty. For me, I drive about 18K miles per year, so that ends up being a 2 year warranty. I'm also curious about which corporation the Callaway warranty is covered by and whether there are better quality/price/years-mileage warrantors out there than the one they use. I've seen some used z06's with less than 5K miles for just under $50K. That's a decent buy, and of course I would get the remainder of the 5/100 z06 warranty. So, on a related note, I'm wondering how well the Callaway package holds up over, say for example, 5 years or 100K miles of driving (I do zip around a bit, but I don't race my vehicle and am not at all overly harsh on how I drive it). And...what is the durability of the c6 Callaway packages that have been done since 2006? Basically, there should be at least 3 years of them out there in circulation, so how well are they holding up over time and mileage for the average user? How common is it for someone to have to use their warranty? Have you heard any troublesome reliability issues stories?Another consideration of mine is whether to find a new 2008 Vette which is deeply discounted by now, trade in my 2007, and just get the cheapest Callaway install I can get added to that rather than getting it installed to my 2007.

Whadya think??

As answered in your other post:
The Callaway Warranty is on the Powertrain and covers anything affected by the Callaway Conversion for a period of 3/36. There is an optional 5/100 extension on the horizon.

There has not been any real warranty incident rate to speak of. Only a few minor details have been reported, as far as I know of.

I have 63,000 miles on a 2008 Callaway that has been drag raced, road raced, autocrossed, etc. While driven rigorously, I follow the GM Maintenance schedule and have not had any issues w/ the Callaway components. I hope this helps :cool

As always, more info can be found on Callaway Corvettes at: The Callaway Owners Group :beer

As answered in your other post:

Whoa! Chris, you've been holding out on us! I knew you'd put a lot of miles on the 08 as part of the cross country promotional roadtrip... but you drag raced and road raced it too?!? Cool!
Pix please!
How did it perform in the 1/4 mile? I'm afraid I don't know a lot about times but I've read a little bit of the guys that race bragging about their times. So, what'd you get? 11's, 10's :bu

What affect does racing have on the 3/36? Would it void the warranty?

You're soooo lucky! I wish my boss would give me a super charged Vette to criss-cross the country in for a couple of months. :_rock
:wJane Ann

Jane Ann, 11.1 in the quarter mile is its best. The car was also on Motorweek

Racing is not covered under any warranty however, it is to be expected the car be used as outlined in the owners manual, including full use of the accelerator pedal ;)

YouTube - MotorWeek Road Test: 2009 Callaway Corvette

Nice video... thanks for the link. The Callaways looked good. The title said 2009 but I assume that was the SC580 (wasn't it a 2008?)... and the C16 was the 2009 (was that Luis' new C16? I heard the narrator say it was a customer's car and they were reluctant to push it too hard...).

So is that the same Callaway you drove around the country for several months? Forgive me if my memory is flawed... I think it was an SC580. Looks good. I like the red with silver hood accent and the Crystal Red C16 is a beauty. :thumb

Racing is not covered under any warranty however, it is to be expected the car be used as outlined in the owners manual, including full use of the accelerator pedal ;)

Okay I'll bite... what does that mean? Don't tell me they build these "powerfully engineered" g-force pulling rockets and then don't warranty them if you test them. :rotfl

Thanks again for the link. :w

LUIS'S C16 IS A 2008 AND SO IS THE SC580.
YOUR AUTO INSURANCE DOESN'T COVER RACING EATHER.
YOU HAVE TO BUY EXPENSIVE INSURANCE TO COVER A CAR WHEN RACING.

LURK!
LURK!
LURK!

Hey Big John! Always glad to hear from you. I saw a Callaway LM in that video too, was it yours? I've always liked the LM model, especially in that color. :thumb

I was thinking Luis' C16 was a 2009, but now that I think about it, it was a 2008 because the conversion to a C16 took about a year, right? Or maybe not that long, I don't recall exactly but I remember his posts about it starting during the 2008 MY. Sorry, my mistake.

As for the warranty and insurance issues, good questions and replies. Since I've never raced, I never thought about it. So, if one intends to race their Callaway or their stock Corvette for that matter, special insurance would be required to protect one's investment. Would the insurance cover mechanical failure also, much like a warranty would? Or would it be for physical damages only? And that brings up the question, can a specific warranty be purchased to cover mechanical failure during racing?

:w

I'm considering the decision of purchasing a z06 new-or-used versus getting a Callaway package on a C6-manual coupe, or.... whether it would be a better choice to spend a bit more and try to find a very low mileage 2008 Viper which has 600 hp. I have a 2007 c6 3LT manual-6, so I would be doing a trade-in if I don't do a Callaway package on my 2007.

One of my main considerations is the WARRANTY factor. Callaway's is 3/36 right? So, that is the coverage I would be left with because I would void the inherent 5/100 warranty on my c6 when/if the Callaway package is added to my Vette and switch over to their 3/36 warranty. For me, I drive about 18K miles per year, so that ends up being a 2 year warranty. I'm also curious about which corporation the Callaway warranty is covered by and whether there are better quality/price/years-mileage warrantors out there than the one they use. I've seen some used z06's with less than 5K miles for just under $50K. That's a decent buy, and of course I would get the remainder of the 5/100 z06 warranty. So, on a related note, I'm wondering how well the Callaway package holds up over, say for example, 5 years or 100K miles of driving (I do zip around a bit, but I don't race my vehicle and am not at all overly harsh on how I drive it). And...what is the durability of the c6 Callaway packages that have been done since 2006? Basically, there should be at least 3 years of them out there in circulation, so how well are they holding up over time and mileage for the average user? How common is it for someone to have to use their warranty? Have you heard any troublesome reliability issues stories?Another consideration of mine is whether to find a new 2008 Vette which is deeply discounted by now, trade in my 2007, and just get the cheapest Callaway install I can get added to that rather than getting it installed to my 2007.

Whadya think??

I can tell you as the 2nd owner of a 2007 Callaway car there is no warranty on the supercharger or any portion of the powertrain. I just had to spend $2,300 dollars to have Magnuson (the supercharger manufacturer) replace bearings and impellers. Callaway doesn't give second owners the time of day nor does Magnuson. I couldn't even get GM to offer any warranty protection before buying the car. Prior to me the car had one owner with less than 13,000 miles.

I can tell you as the 2nd owner of a 2007 Callaway car there is no warranty on the supercharger or any portion of the powertrain. I just had to spend $2,300 dollars to have Magnuson (the supercharger manufacturer) replace bearings and impellers. Callaway doesn't give second owners the time of day nor does Magnuson. I couldn't even get GM to offer any warranty protection before buying the car. Prior to me the car had one owner with less than 13,000 miles.

Wouldn't a 2007 be well past the end of the standard 3 year warranty? Depending on the purchase date, it might even be beyond the extended 5 year - assuming it was even avaialble in 2007, which I am pretty sure it wasn't.

Not sure why you would expect to be covered under warrranty.

Point noted. I realize the time constraints and legal cutoff of any warranty. However, on a purported bulletproof supercharger which many Vette owners/racers rave about and claim to be trouble free/dependable I am disappointed (I'll leave it at that). A supercharger with less than 13,000 miles on it and supposedly never raced should not fail regardless of its age.

Overhere in Holland we have a somewhat different warranty system (besides the normal one). For example, when you buy a quality washingmachine with a 1 or 2 year warranty and it fails after 5 years you can always hold them accountable because a quality machine should hold up for 10 years or so. Not that you get all your money from the repairs back, less then half, I think. But better something then nothing.

Greetings Peter

Peter thanks for your comments. The example you offer sounds very reasonable and fair.

Buy the Z06, then take it to Callaway for conversion and buy a extended warranty from them. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too! For service take it to a Callaway Dealer. I'm sure you will find that they will treat you great. Remember, Callaway is the manufacturer, the dealer facilitates your needs beyond that point.

i10fwy COG
87-070
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom