Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

cam for crossfire

• Thread starter Thread starter 82VetteW
  • Start date Start date

82VetteW

Is there a cam for 82 that will work with the crossfire and enough vacumm ?

Talk to a cam company, they'll ask you about your car, tranny, gears, & mods. The best cams for the crossfire are gonna be rv & truck cams, they improve low speed throttle response & torque. Before I invested in a roller cam, I had a cam from Comp. I think it was in their extreme 4X4 line. It was ok, the intake really holds those engines back from making good power, needs tons of porting or a different intake(my sollution was a single 2bbl. tbi, & conventional intake). Hope this helps you out.

Pick up a "renegade intake" from DCS, it will out flow a TPI vette and add rear gears and a recommended cam and you are set.

Thanks for the info, will computer have to be changed?

Thanks for the info, will computer have to be changed?

If you're just changing the manifold and exhaust, no. If you start stokin' the fire a bit with a much bigger cam, heads, TB mods etc...yes. I hope this brief reply helps.:thumb

Comp Cams

You can check Comp Cams website using their product search.

Here's a quick link to the one I found:
COMP Cams: XFI™ Xtreme Fuel Injection

The Comp Cams 252 XFI H13 with an RPM range of 1,300-5,300 seems to be mildest of the series. Uses 1.6 rockers to get the advertised lift INT .477 / EXH .472

I would e-mail Comp Cams Tech Support to verify that it can be run with the stock Crossfire intake/TBI 400's, stock ECM/chip & MAP sensor, stock 700R-4 converter and stock rear differential.

Back in 2008, I purchased this Comp Cams PN 12-308-4 with the following specs for my '82 Corvette Crossfire.
Back then, it showed as computer compatible, but now it shows as "not compatible for pollution controlled vehicles"....hummh, wonder if this is because they are pushing for their newer cam designs ?
This cam's RPM range is from 1,000 and uses stock 1.5 ratio rockers & springs.
Using 1.6 rockers will raise the lift to INT/.453 - EXH/.469
Haven't installed it yet as my stock engine setup still runs fine, but since I plan to change the timing gears as the original gears have the nylon gear teeth, may just pull the cam and put this one in since I have to drop the oil pan anyway to change the timing gear/chain and taking it one step further by pulling the instake manifold and radiator with the A/C condensor to the side still connected to the A/C compressor so A/C lines will be in intact.

COMP CAMS, part number12-308-4.
CAM SPECS:
INT EXH
ADV DUR 252 260
DUR @ .050 206 212
VALVE LIFT 425 440
110 LOBE CENTERLINE
Cam Grind # CS252AH-10
RPM RANGE 1000-5000
COMPUTER CONTROLLED FOR USE W/ TBI, CROSSFIRE & TPI 305-350 (This description was back in 2008, now it says "not for pollution controlled vehicles")

Stock GM L-83 Cam Specs w/ stock 1.5 rockers:
GM Cam # 14044613

Intake:
Opens BTC: 24
Closes ABC: 92

Degree Duration: 296 @Lash / 250 @.010 / 202 @.050
Lift:.410
Lobe Centerline: 114

Exhaust:
Opens BBC: 72
Closes ATC: 44
Degree Duration: 296 @Lash / 250 @.010 / 206 @.050
Lift: .423

Another way is just to change your 1.5 rockers with the 1.6 and your stock cam will have slightly more more lift- INT .437 / EXH .451.

Hopefully the ECM AFR parameters will be within its limits with this slight mod.

If you go with a newer, bigger cam & the ECM's program cannot keep up with the changes, then I would go the route of a 1227747 ECM with a HAM (Harness Adapter Module) to retain your factory ECM harness connectors & a Moates Ostrich 2.0 prom emulator for tuning on the fly. The Moates Ostrich2.0 requires soldering a 24 to 28 pin speed booster module for the Ostrich 2.0 interface cable. Other way is to use a prom burner, Moates Burner2, and a 24 to 28 pin PROM adapter for a 27SF512 eeprom which is flashable & electronically erasable. Programming would require multiple attempts until right parameters are reached. Both methods would require a tuning software like the CATS Tuner or Tuner Pro RT.

Hope this helps.

cam

:coolI replaced the cam with a crain energy, bored 30@balanced. No comp.mods.this seemed to really help power. You may really want to try this it is a improvement. I was really impressed. nice sleeper.

:coolI replaced the cam with a crain energy, bored 30@balanced. No comp.mods.this seemed to really help power. You may really want to try this it is a improvement. I was really impressed. nice sleeper.
Thanks, I may go with a LINATI , Voodo series. Has 19 lbs. vacumm for lights etc. :thumb

Thanks, I may go with a LINATI , Voodo series. Has 19 lbs. vacumm for lights etc. :thumb

On the Crane & Lunati Voodoo Cams: Any part numbers ?

Lunati also has the High Efficiency Series for OEM ECM's.
Latest & biggest High Efficiency cam for the 350 TBI according to Lunati is the Model 301A3LUN which uses the stock 1.5 rocker:
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1851&gid=258

What for the rocker ratio required for Lunati Voodoo cams on their spec sheets. Some require 1.7 rockers to achieve their specs.

Back in the day when I was racing my 84, Comp Cams had the best lineup of cams for the crossfire. They really paid attention to crossfire Chevs when nobody else did. I'd start there, but that's just me. :upthumbs

crossfire

The cam is acrane energizer duration266@440 lift no crn-100042 from summit raceing. I also installed roller rockers,this will require taller vaulve covers. My next project is to install headers @ true duels. and cruise.:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom