Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can anybody help me?

ricersvette89

Corvette
Any C2/3/4/or early C5 would be fine
Hey! I need help with a homwork thing that my teacher gave me. Can anybody tell me how do you change the oil in a ZR-1? And it would be great if there are any Houston owners out there to show me. I need to get this done asap!

Thanks
Martin

Homework

Hi Martin, Look I'm a new Z owner also. Got mine this past Dec. I just put the front end up on jack stands, I don't have ramps yet, and just took out the drain plug & let it drain. Now there will be oil left in the cooler & lines which will not all come out. I have been told by the experienced Z owners here that what is left in the system is not a concern. If you think about it the couple of qts left are not significant. Just don't try to fill the filter before putting it on unless you have fast hands. The fact that some old oil remains is disconcerting but in the total picture what can it hurt realistically. Just get some M1 & a good filter & have at it. You might want to check out the info on the ZR1netregistry & even join up. Good luck, Tom.

Thanks Tom! So you change just like normal but there is going to be some oil left and that the filter is upside down?

Hi Martin, Yes, it kinda threw me when I first learned about that quirk! To see it in person took me awhile to accept the wisdom of the Lotus guys but no one has ever said that it has any real negative effects on the motor. It is a vette of a different color, to be sure! I have heard of some owners letting the oil drain over night. I don't know if I will do the same, I'll see how much & how fast it comes out when I do mine. :upthumbs Tom.

Hey Tom before i forget: what is the size of the filter and what brand should you use(for oil, filter,etc.)

aizanvette89 said:
Hey Tom before i forget: what is the size of the filter and what brand should you use(for oil, filter,etc.)

The oil filter on my 93 ZR1 is an AC-Delco Duraguard PF970C. The only oil to use (IMHO) is the oil GM decided was good enough, Mobil 1.

Hi Martin, The concensus among Z owners is that Mobil One 10w-30 and a Mobil One filter or a GM/Delco filter. The concensus is also to stay away from Fram oil filters for the Z. I'm going to use Mobil One oil and filter. I live in the burbs of NYC and my car will be not used in the winter. The original owner used non-synthetic oil but the ZR-1 manual in the owner's kit suggests synthetics. Heck it's cheap insurance I figure!:beer Tom.

Can you one those K&N filters?

I'm not experienced enough with a ZR-1 to answer that question. I'll defer to the owners with more time with these cars to give you insight on that.:)

aizanvette89 said:
Can you one those K&N filters?

K N makes both an air filter and an oil filter for ZR1. The air filter is a direct replacement part.

So you can use one in the ZR-1?

ZRGator Tom was talking about a upside down fliter. How those that work ( put on and off, etc.)?

Thanks wishuwerehere82 ! Hey is that the fliter on the left?

aizanvette89 said:
Thanks wishuwerehere82 ! Hey is that the fliter on the left?

At first I thought it was, but now I think they are more like a brake and clutch reservoir. I have done a google search on the ZR1 but haven't seen any pictures of the filter.

Hey, I found one that shows the filter! it's on the front passenger side.

zr1_detail1_450.jpg

http://www.mathewscollection.com/images/corvette/zr1_detail1_450.jpg

Thanks!

Hey everyone! Just wanna say that I showed my work to my teacher today and was he in complete happiness! Now he wants to buy another corvette (bought one after my first project)! Even might join this website! Thank you all for your help!

Martin

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom