Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can I get a quick opinion..........

Z

Zr-1 Mark

My Son's College tuition is cramping my spending allowance this Spring for
a Corvette. He's picked the most expensive of the 4 schools he was admitted
to, and because he's a good kid, we will send him there..

But the ZR-1 days are over :cry for at least a few years.......
I can't go without a car in the garage, and I've found a real nice vette I'd like
to ask an opinion on...and it's local so that makes it easier.
1979 Corvette 38k real original miles. L-82 4speed with gymkhana susp.
90% original paint, had a scratch from a mailbox touched up on the drivers door
years ago. White/black, power windows, etc...etc....No factory A/C, which is o-k
with me, I just want a car to cruise around in on Summer nights.
3 owners with all mileage being verified. Tank sheet listing all options.
Overall the car is a 9.5 out of 10. I've had Top Flight cars over the years and I
know how hard it is to keep a car this nice....

All right, without the flames please :D , how about some approx. values...
I'm about 2 weeks away from making him an offer on it.....:eek:hnoes

Any and all opinions are welcomed , and valued...

Thanks,
Mark B.

Mark,

The '79 you described sounds like a nice one and will make a great cruiser. The prices in the previous post are about what I would expect. I paid $9500 for my '79, L82 4 speed, 84,000 mile car that is virtually untouched, but have dumped a fair amount of $$ into it to fix the normal 28 year old car issues. The biggest single expense was to redo the interior.

At the risk of insulting other '79 owners, my own opinion only, I wouldn't pay top dollar for the car you are looking at, but it sounds like it is in the high #3 range. '79 was the highest production year ever for the Corvette, they are a blast to drive and always turn heads and a nice one might be able to pull at or slightly above the original sticker price. The sticker price on mine was just over $13k and I think it would sell for somewhere close to that, but I would need to find just the right buyer.

Hope this helps!

another opinion

hi Mark B, my opinion is approx $12000 to $12750, my reasons are very nice car, but i would need air con, i like black interior, but dont like white C3, as they dont show the beautiful body lines of the stingray as much as other colours, also prefer auto, but not such a big deal, if ever you sell later you have to consider these options, regards wayne.

Thanks for the replies :)

This gentleman is in the $15k "range" on the car.
And I know that sounds high, but how many cars need nothing.......
The condition is amazing. As we all know, the 1st thing that needs
to be done is thousands not hundreds.
And I'm sick of paying to get cars shipped to me, being local is a
huge benefit for me.

Any more thoughts ;help

Thanks,
Mark

Mark, I think it is ultimately your decision. I own a 79 with 63K original miles. It has all the options and is an automatic. It is black with red leather interior. It had the normal wear and tear that a 28 yr old vette would have. A few things did not work but I was confident that I could resolve those easily and did. The fact is you will spend more money on the Vette once you purchase it. Wether it be now or later. Nature of the Beast! We all always find something to replace, upgrade or restore. I love my vette and would never sell it. I don't regret purchasing the Vette no matter how much my Wife questions me on how much I have spent on it since then. It is something I enjoy and I honestly believe that the returns will pay off in the long run several yrs from now. Anywho, I spent 9K to purchase the Vette last year and the same so far in restoring it. If the seller is asking 15K then the Vette ought to be in very good shape. The L82 four speed is a good combo. Do you have a pic of the Vette so that we can look at it? Right now, I would have to agree with rmonty that 13K sounds about right. There's nothing like a C3. The lines and curves alone make the car so unique and intresting. Well, if you are happy with it then...

Mark, it appears to be an early L82 79. Has the intake manifold been replaced or do the L82's come with the intake manifold not painted GM Blue? The Vette looks really nice. It does NOT have the front and rear spoiler option or the upgraded wheels. Does everyhting work?

It is a March 6th build.....Car is #26491.
Yes everything works......The black ink-stamp on the alternator
is even readable still. I couldn't find one thing not dated properley.
The intakes are painted silver on an L-82 I believe....

Yes I would have loved YJ8 wheels and spoilers, but I can live
with it like it is...

Does it still look like a reasonably priced car ?

Mark,
I'd try to deal with him and maybe you can get him down a couple of grand, but if you really like the car and it's worth $15k to you then by all means go for it. It's definitely a beautiful car from the pics. Good luck, and let us know how this works out.

-JS

Mark,
I'd try to deal with him and maybe you can get him down a couple of grand, but if you really like the car and it's worth $15k to you then by all means go for it. It's definitely a beautiful car from the pics. Good luck, and let us know how this works out.

-JS
I agree.Happy trails:)

Mark,

Thanks for posting the pictures. From what I could see it does look to be pretty original. I think the $15K range is still a little high, but being able to inspect and drive it up front is worth a lot. Good luck on make the deal that you are comfortable with!

15 may be a bit high, but the car is likely to appreciate - especially if you get it flighted.

So, what happened to the yellow Z? :D

See if the seller is willing to come down a bit in price. The Vette is in wonderful condition from what I can see in the pictures. It would be very difficult to not buy it. And it comes with paperwork!

Looks/sounds good to me. If $15k is high, it's not high by much. I'm not sure how plentiful pristine C3's are in your neck of the woods but I'd rather overpay a little to get a solid car like that now than spend the summer searching for something you might not find.

Just my $.02

The car is worth what you are willing to pay for it. If you are willing to pay $15K for it you will. in all likelihood, be the only one. Does the seller know it is a 79?

Well I made him an offer somewhere near that price "range"
and he has not e-mailed me back yet.....Time will tell, but I
think I might have lost this one......;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom