Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can I put a 1974 aluminum intake on my 74 that has a cast intake

gug

Corvette
1974,yellow,T-Top
I'm having a custom builder build a 406/454hp engine for me to put in my 1974 vette. He has found a aluminum intake and asked me if my current engine had a "mushroom type" EGR on it. This is all located on the passenger side of the Carb. I believe my does have the choke system on the passenger side that he wants and the EGR that he wants. He has also asked if there is two small lines that go into the intake and I do ( I think) have what he wants but I'm not sure. Included is a picture of my carb taken from he driver's side. To the right side (back side of the carb) you see a dull silver tubular thing and it has two lines going into it. Is this what he is referring to ?

Attachments

• DSCN2212.jpg
    DSCN2212.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 144
I'm having a custom builder build a 406/454hp engine for me to put in my 1974 vette. He has found a aluminum intake and asked me if my current engine had a "mushroom type" EGR on it. This is all located on the passenger side of the Carb. I believe my does have the choke system on the passenger side that he wants and the EGR that he wants. He has also asked if there is two small lines that go into the intake and I do ( I think) have what he wants but I'm not sure. Included is a picture of my carb taken from he driver's side. To the right side (back side of the carb) you see a dull silver tubular thing and it has two lines going into it. Is this what he is referring to ?

The 2 lines in your picture are manifold vacuum. If that is what he is asking about then the answer is yes. If the lines he is asking about is not manifold vacuum the answer is no.

The 2 lines in your picture are manifold vacuum. If that is what he is asking about then the answer is yes. If the lines he is asking about is not manifold vacuum the answer is no.

Thanks Frank for the info. I'll be talking to him this morning. Appreciate the help!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not ask this question but I strongly feel that the individual building the engine would not have suggested it if it would not.

Make sure the deck height is the same on both.

Mikey's right–most engine builders have no understanding of hood clearance on BB Vettes.

There was no factory aluminum intake manifold for a Big-Block in 1974. There are only two aluminum intake manifolds which will fit under the hood of 74 BB C3:

The 1968-1969 3x2 oval port manifold from the 427/400
The aftermarket, Edelbrock Torker II

Neither of those will accept EGR.

If you want an aluminum intake, I'd either take off the EGR and go with the Torker II or put an L88 hood on the car and use an Edelbrock Performer RPM.

I could be wrong but doesn't the 406/454hp mean it is a SB??

Oopsey!

"kpic" is right. I didn't read the OP correctly. A 406 is likely a small block but the problem remains the same–hood clearance with some aftermarket manifolds.

The stock LT1 intake will fit right air filter assembly.
A Performer RPM may fit given the right air filter assy.

A 450-hp SBV8 is going to need a good intake manifold to use that power. The Performer RPM is the way to go.

Last edited:
Clearing the carb or being able to close the hood, is how my 66 ended up with an aftermarket 427 hood "scoop." :D

Fortunately, back home my best bud owns a collision shop and is a painter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom